Parity check not finishing

loady

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You need to find a way to create a new flash drive.

the same drives wont let me make them bootable on my laptop or an old clunky win7 PC.  I have just download the usb creator tool and it shows two of the three flash drives as incompatible, the third one let me create the flash drive and it has booted now, though i cant access the GUI with the IP address. Do i back up the original flash drive, use the usb creator for the latest release (or the one you suggested to roll back too) then copy back the back up ?

gs1RXLf.png

Edited by loady
2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Worth a try since the cant access the GUI with the IP address is yet another issue.

I got in, it wasnt letting me becasue my original installation was https// and now it wants http//, once i cleared the cache it seems fine now

So i have let the usb tool wipe and re-create the original flash drive, this time it doesnt seem to finish, just hangs on syncing file system, the one that is in now is 8GB and working, the old one is 32GB but its been a good 15 minutes sat like this..should it take this long ? if this other flashdrive is working fine can i just transfer the key to it and then copy whatever files i need from the backup ?

A43wnY4.png

18 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Try this

That worked thank you.  Now the server is booting from the original flash drive,  what do i need from the dump of the flash drive i made after i had over written all the bz* files ?bare in mind this back was made AFTER i over wrote the bz* files. For now i have just used the latest release of unraid just so i can use the server, i will monitor if the issue i had that caused me to roll back is resolved, if not i will go back to it over christmas.

fCObsm1.png

On 12/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, JorgeB said:

To restore the old setting you just the to restore the /config folder from the backup.

So it seems the issue is still there, i am going to try again to roll it back to the version you suggested, just to be sure, i download the version i need and overwrite ONLY ALL the *bz files and the changes.txt file. Last time i did it it wouldnt boot.

On 12/27/2022 at 11:18 AM, JorgeB said:

correct

I still have the same issue and the server is on 6.10.3 now, i thought the problem was gone, it started doing a parity check and when i last looked it was at 38%, when i checked again later it was at 3%, i looked as thought it had either finished and just started another one or the server restarted itself, anyway, as of now i cant access the server and will have to hard reboot it

Edited by loady
29 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Those look normal, but they are soon after a reboot, you can grab new ones after the problem just to see if it's the same issue, Unraid driver crashing.

How do i get diags if i cant access the GUI ? i am only aware of the issue at the point i go to try use the server

19 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Persistent syslog is empty.

I followed these instructions..

Go to Settings->Network Services->Syslog Server

You can click on the 'Help' icon on the Toolbar and get more information for all of the options.

Mirror to Flash: This is the simplest to set up. You select 'Yes' from the dropdown box and click on the 'Apply' button and the syslog will be mirrored to the logs folder/directory of the flash drive and is appended to on a reboot. There is one principal disadvantage to this method. If the condition, that you are trying to troubleshoot, takes days to weeks to occur, it can do a lot of writes to the flash drive. Some folks are hesitant to use the flash drive in this manner as it may shorten the life of the flash drive.

The advantage of this approach is that it captures everything from the start of the boot process which can be important if trying to diagnose boot problems.

Have i missed something ?...i hard shut down the server as it had crashed and then removed the flash drive to get the file off.

yetXC56.png

Edited by loady

OK, now there's something, but nothing relevant logged before the crash, and not the same issue as before where the Unraid driver was constantly crashing, suspect hardware problem, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

OK, now there's something, but nothing relevant logged before the crash, and not the same issue as before where the Unraid driver was constantly crashing, suspect hardware problem, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

the only thing i can think that is different..i set up next cloud, but recently i created a link for someone to upload files to me, about 40gb.... would this cause the server to crash ?