Help with 10G ethernet connectivity

Rashiga

Hello all,

I'm setting up my first unraid server and I also wanted get experience with 10G data transfer for the first time.

I've got a used a pc for my unraid server and got two used 10G Ethernet adapters.

My current setup is illustrated on the image below.

image.thumb.png.89454e6ea438fde1b53636578db865ca.png

The problem is when I try to transfer data from my PC to the unraid server it goes through the wifi router which slows down the file transfer.

Is there a possibility by-passing the router for data transfer between the pc and the unraid server with unraid server still connected to the wifi router. So I can access the files via internet?

Is my only option is to get a 10G router to make this possible?

Any help on this issue is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rashiga

your setup is wrong (aka: it does not work, but you have already noticed this 😁)

What you have to do to get this working:

* kill the connection between PC and Wifi Router (the PC is only connected to UNRAID)

* on UNRAID create a Bridge containing both connections (eth0 + eth1 I guess)

The PC will then only talk to UNRAID and packets meant for other destinations will be forwarded to the Router by UNRAID

So you get the fast file access and internet still works.

(Drawback: if UNRAID is not running, the PC hangs in thin air, not able to get to the internet)

(in the long run you will need a 10G router, this simplyfies the setup and eliminates the drawback)

(make sure you have proper cables for the 10G line. "normal" patch cables will result in strange line dropouts, hangs, slowdowns. You did not tell if your cards have SFP+ cages or are fixed with RJ45, so I assume the last, else get fiber and be happy, anything else can give problems)

Edited by MAM59
1 hour ago, Rashiga said:

Is there a possibility by-passing the router for data transfer between the pc and the unraid server with unraid server still connected to the wifi router.

You can also add the server name to your hosts file, then every time you access the server by name or 10GbE IP it will use that connection, jusr make sure the 10GbE IP addresses are on a different subnet. 

5 minutes ago, Rashiga said:

he desktop was able to connect to the internet through the unraid server. However the connection was in 1gig.

sure, it will never be higher because your router has only 1gig. The thing is that you are accessing UNRAID (and ONLY UNRAID) with full 10gigs.

(if your connection PC<>UNRAID is only 1gig, you surely have a "quality of cable" problem. Get something real and retry. The link speed must be 10gigs of course)

5 minutes ago, Rashiga said:

But it only connects via the router. I think I'm doing something wrong here.

yeah, that method is not not safest one... its a leftover from the 90s and should not be used today anymore.

(and with the advent of IPV6 it is totally outdated and useless)

Edited by MAM59
On 12/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, MAM59 said:

only NEW files go to cache.

If you want to repeat the same one, delete the copy on the array before (usually this is done automatically, but if you are one of the fast & nervous guys, it may have not happened already, so do it manually to be sure).

You are absolutely right! :D

Thank you all for your help on this!

Cheers and Happy holidays!

• 6 months later...

For anyone searching for this article

My router has two 2.5G ports
My computer has a 2.5 network port

I avoided buying a switch by doing this and managed to get my computer to connect to a nas at 2.5g and access the internet.

Interface ethO    
Interface description:    
MAC address:
 Enable bonding:    E4:3A:0:39 No
Enable bridging:    Yes
Bridging members of brO:    ethO, eth1
Network protocol:    IPv4 only
IPv4 address assignment:    Automatic
IPv4 address:    192.168.31.92
IPv4 default gateway:    192.168.31.1
IPv4 DNS server assignment:    Automatic
IPv4 DNS server:    192.168.31.1
Desired MTU:    1500
Enable VLANs:    No

616505331_.thumb.png.f8164496142d410e7d2df5f435d05908.png2016504178_QQ20230709233703.thumb.jpg.b5c0308c44be80af9477002940e4b297.jpg