Convert two separate nvme pool devices into RAID1

zoller
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new to UNRAID. I have chosen this system because of its versatility. I'm very satisfied so far, but I'm still in the discovery phase. Therefore I would need some help and an optimal solution for converting my two nvme pool devices into RAID1. The main purpose of this is keeping my appdata safe(r).

Currently one drive is used for docker appdata, the other one is dedicated to VM (attached please see the structure of devices).

I know how to make a backup of appdata with "Appdata Backup/Restore v3".

I have two questions:

1. Would you recommend to use a RAID1 pool for both docker's appdata and VM?

2. If yes, how can I safely convert the two separate pools into RAID1 without loosing appdata and the VM? If I initiate a RAID1 conversion, is it going to wipe everything, so that I have to restore them from a backup? Is there a simpler solution (to keep both docker appdata and VM)?

I would appreciate your help

This is my first post here by the way

Cheers

unraid_cachepool.png

• Solution
1 hour ago, zoller said:

They are both xfs

XFS does not support multiple drives in the same pool - you have to be using BTRFS to do this.    Switching to BTRFS would involve first copying the existing contents elsewhere (e.g. the main array) and then copying it back after setting up the multi-drive pool as btrfs and formatting the pool drives.  

Note that if you have a single drive pool already set up as btrfs you can add additional drives to it and/or change the RAID level without reformatting.