Duplicate files across disks

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I recently moved to a new array with drives and use unbalance to copy data on to the new drives.  I now notice that there are duplicate files on different disks as shown in the attachments.  Is there a script or plugin to sort this out or do I manually go in there and find them and delete them from the disks?

thanks!

share.JPG

disk1.JPG

disk2.JPG

No, not my issue.  I used it and it will find duplicates within the shares.  Unraid has several of the same files spread across the actual disks.  In the shares it shows only the 1 file.  for example, 'file1' is on Disk 1 and Disk 2 under Videos.  Looking at the Share it only shows 'file1'.  Yet it is taking 2x the disk space.  Does that make sense?

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks for the clarification on shares vs disks usage.  It helped validate that this was the tool I wanted to use to try this, rather than an external one which would have inherent limitations.
I thought I didn't need to do this and I was just checking.  My process is very clean, so I shouldn't have needed to do this.  Despite that, I still found a fair number of dupes.  This was a good reminder of the old accountant's saying: 99% correct is 1% wrong.  It doesn't mean your process doesn't work.  It's a reminder of why there are checks and balances.  I definitely think it's worth running occasionally, probably first on shares then secondly on disks.
Observations: this takes a few gigs of memory with larger data sets just against filenames, and can probably easily consume even more with more complicated data sets or filters.  It takes some time to process, so it's probably best to fire it off (before you run out of space ;) ) and return later. 
Delete Dedupe with care....  Good luck.

Edit: Most of these were simple name collision dupes (i.e. "Book 1") 😂🤦‍♂️but enough were real to be worth the effort.

Edited by ixit