Unraid wont boot

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello,

I am quite new to unraid (had it for about 4-5 months). Had it installed and had been using it without any problems. 

But 2 days ago I noticed that the array was not started for some reason. I started it manually. Next day the server was offline. I tried to restart it manually with the press of the button on the pc case and when it did nothing i unplug it from wall and replug it. But still it was offline. Than i connected the display to see what is going on and realized that it was stuck in a boot loop.

It gives me this message (sorry for picture but i dont know where to find logs or how to find them)

I also took picture with more of the lines of text.

I am using:

i5 6500

2x4gb ddr4 2133Mhz

TB250-btc+ motherboard

I did memory test (it passed)

used only 1 ram (swapped it) still same problem

tried to do cmos clear (same problem)

disabled c-state

tried different usb stick with fresh install of unraid

booted into windows from different usb (it booted)

replaced cmos battery

if someone can help it would be appriciated.

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

Just now, itimpi said:

Any dtive used by Unraid is a self-contained file system that is readable by itself in any Linux system.

that is good news because i have some backup on one disk and another one is for media storage.

I am doing memory test right now (2/4 pass; 0 errors). Tomorrow i will get another i5 6500 and try to replace it.

Is there any sensor for hardware change? (so if i replace cpu it wont boot because of that)?

Will write when the memory test is done...

5 minutes ago, suharoba said:

Hello,

glad to report that with new / different cpu is now booting. 

But now it does not boot unless i have a monitor plug in the PC. Do you maybe know what is the issue or how to fix it?

This can be a restriction on some motherboards.  It is possible there will be a BIOS setting about this, but it is not always the case.  Assuming you want to run headless, you can always get around it by getting a dummy HDMI plug and using that to keep the motherboard happy.

2 minutes ago, suharoba said:

I do not know how i was able to boot w/o monitor before. I am looking in bios but i do not find anything. (keep in mind that i perform cmos clear)

If you have any experience regarding this topic to would really appreciate the help.

This are the manuals of the motherboard i am using:

Motherboard manuals

I have a machine that will not boot if it cannot ‘see’ a monitor.    I simply plugged in a HDMI dummy plug to get around this so I can then run the server headless.

One more question, is there a special settings in Unraid for running in headless mode that i need to turn on?

Does UEFI have an impact for this? I know that i rename  efi~ to efi on usb stick. 

Do i need to change some settings here? or how to set up settings.

image.png.a9d47c46cea3601e44d034684cc67943.png

Edited by suharoba
41 minutes ago, suharoba said:

One more question, is there a special settings in Unraid for running in headless mode that i need to turn on?

Nothing in Unraid is specific to running headless.   It is administered via a browser that can be run across the network.  It was only in Unraid v6 that the option to also run it on a locally attached monitor was introduced.