Lost data. Parity drive valid. Unmountable: Wrong or no file system

Medic1
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi all,

I've had a new stable server for about a month. Yesterday while browsing through files I received a windows credential login error while accessing the shares through explorer. I didn't notice any errors with the tower but while troubleshooting I decided to do a clean reboot. Unfortunately I didn't collect diagnostics.

I was able to reboot the server cleanly but I have lost access to one of my drives. Disk 1 is showing Unmountable: Wrong or no file system

I have lost a significant amount of data. I have not rebuilt parity, and a parity check currently running is showing 0 errors after about 22 hours of running. I don't see the files nor the file contents any more. I don't understand how parity can be valid if there's a whole drive that's suddenly unmountable.

image.thumb.png.d7b5ff4036c93cd4d9ee13afdb954051.png

image.thumb.png.6b8a72eca131ee2c15f6bb82c33bd148.png

tower-diagnostics-20230131-1353.zip

• Solution

Parity can still be valid if something caused file system corruption as parity does not understand file systems - only bit patterns on a disk.

The correct handling of unmountable disks is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.