Trouble removing drive from array.

jmshrtn
Go to solution Solved by jmshrtn,

Hi folks.

I have a home build which uses one of these 8 bay USB enclosures from Orico.  I bought three new 8TB drives and stuffed the remaining ports full of whatever I had lying around. It's been running fine for several months.  I decided to pull one of the older 1TB drives (it is empty anyway) to make room for adding a second parity drive (soon - I haven't ordered it yet) however it appears that the device ID's are based on the order that they're iterated and not the slot that they're in (which is annoying in and of itself). Is there any way to start the array having removed Disk 6 and pointed Disk 7 at the same device but with now a different device ID?  To be clear, Disk 7 is in the same physical slot as before - I simply removed the drive from the slot next to it.

In the mean time I'll put the 1TB drive back in the enclosure so that I can start the array.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 9.56.15 AM.png

13 minutes ago, jmshrtn said:

the device ID's are based on the order that they're iterated and not the slot that they're in

The device IDs are what is passed to Unraid by the device. With SATA or SAS connections, these would be the serial numbers of the disks.

Inconsistent identification of disks is one of many reasons USB connections are NOT recommended for array or pools.