XFS vs BTRFS for single NVMe Cache Drive

Jaytie

Hi guys,

since the general opinion about this question seems to differ a lot, I wanna ask it here again. I know this is not the first time asked but:

What is the recommended choice when using a single cache drive (nvme), XFS or BTRFS? I'm not planning to add another drive to the cache-pool.

All my Docker-Containers + their persistent volumes are sitting permanently on the cache. Right now the pool drive is formatted with BTRFS, since it has native Trim support in Unraid.

I read about XFS being more stable and has better performance. I would need the Dynamix TRIM Tool for manual TRIM handling...

What would you choose? Just let it be and use BTRFS or switch to XFS?

Thanks in advance!

Okay thanks! Since I'm using a single drive, I'm asking myself if there are any benefits of using BTRFS other than not having to enable TRIM via the Dynamix Plugin.

I'm using a external HDD for Synology backups ie. that is formatted with btrfs because the Synology NAS is able to read that in case of an emergency, so there is a (small) benefit. But for the cache drive?

BTRFS does offer snapshots if you have any need of them. I use single drive BTRFS for my cache drive and use snapshots to backup my appdata folder (not backup against drive failure but against accidental deletion of configuration breaking). It also offers the ability to do send and receive between BTRFS drives. I have not personally had any issues with corruptions on BTRFS file systems and have a mix of BTRFS and XFS drives in my array.

Edited by primeval_god

Thanks for your insight!

I switched to xfs for my single cache nvme for now since the only thing I want is a fast accessable and reliable drive for all my Appdata. No other features needed atm.

Might change in the future, let's see :)

Only question that's left: I need to enable TRIM manually for that drive, right?

Edited by Jaytie
5 hours ago, AMDman13 said:

if I still need to TRIM manual and how to do so. 

There is a "Trim" Tab / section in the current version of unraid (before you needed to install a plugin).

Go to Settings -> schedules page (where you can manage the parity check runs) and see the section/Tab about TRIM.

Beware! When TRIM runs, the disk will be taken offline temporarily! This could interrupt ongoing transfers, so make sure you pick a time in which nothing is going on!