Cache sizes

Taipan
Go to solution Solved by at0m,

Hi all

I am in the process of pre-purchase for hardware and software ( almost certainly unraid )

I read this tech document - https://wiki.unraid.net/Cache_disk#:~:text=For the fastest possible speed,WD Black will do fine.

With this clause 

"The final consideration in choosing a cache drive is to think about the amount of data you expect to pass through it. If you write ~10 GBs per day, then any drive 10 GB or larger will do (a 30 GB SSD may be a good fit in this case). If you write 100 GB in one day every few weeks, then you will want a cache drive that is larger than 100 GB. If you attempt a data transfer that is larger than the size of your cache drive, the transfer will fail."

So my questions on cache size are basically, if i have a 32GB optane cache, will the transfer fail completely on my source client, if a single file is larger than 32GB ? Or, does the cache fail, and the transfer continues, albeit slower..

- The remote client will most likely be Windows.

- The file might also be a torrent, so slow download.

What about if i copy multiple files,  from the same windows client, whereby the source files individually are all smaller than 32GB, however the total file batch ( i.e. xcopy /s or some other utility ) is much larger than 32GB... Will this bulk file transfer fail ?

My network connection the the unraid server will be 1Gb/s at both ends.

thanks kindly

tim

PS - i did search for "optane and cache" but nothing stood out to me as an answer.

• Like 1

Probably a google search has led you to some very old documentation.

2 minutes ago, Taipan said:

read this tech document

At the very top of that page

Important! This page is a basic introduction to the unRAID Cache drive, but was written for v4 and v5. There is no mention of Dockers, VM's, or Cache Pools. For v6 users, this page serves as an introduction, but you should also check these resources:

Unraid V5 has not been available for many years now.

A better place to start learning is by clicking the Documentation link at the bottom of this page.

• Confused 1

Wiki is always a work in progress. Not all forum posts are guaranteed to have the best information either.

Some forum posts may not contribute anything. Or be useful for current versions. When searching the forum, pay attention to the dates. More recent posts are more likely to be useful than very old posts.

It is all a community effort, mostly unpaid volunteers.

• Like 1
  • Solution

My point being the SEO on the documentation search function is garbage if the top hit is useless info. I understand this is essentially a volunteer effort (which is a little odd for paid software, but that's a different story), but my first instinct when looking at documentation is not to read the whole first page which is generally useless, I _search_. And search in this case is pointing to the wrong thing, as both OP and I found. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, at0m said:

My point being the SEO on the documentation search function is garbage if the top hit is useless info. I understand this is essentially a volunteer effort (which is a little odd for paid software, but that's a different story), but my first instinct when looking at documentation is not to read the whole first page which is generally useless, I _search_. And search in this case is pointing to the wrong thing, as both OP and I found. 

The official documentation is quite well structured, so starting at the top level of that and descending into the section of interest will normally find what you want without the need to go through a search.    The official documentation is not open to everyone to edit and is complete and accurate in most areas on topics that regularly come up.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, at0m said:

And should have a working search function, which is something I feel you're completely missing. It needs to either find effective information, or be removed. 

Not disagreeing with that statement - just pointing out that you can normally easily find the required information without using Search.   In my view using Search is likely to land you on obsolete information.