Motherboard sees all ram slots populated by only half of it is accessible

Building my first unraid build and as I was testing out parts I saw my ram is only half reporting but the motherboard sees each stick: 

The bios reports total as 32gb (even though it sees 4 x 16gb). Ubuntu and Memtest also show only 32gb. The ram is brand new from kingston and was their recommended ram for my motherboard.

- Asus P10s-M WS Motherboard

- Kingston KSM26ED8/16HD

- Intel G4560 CPU

Both the ram and motherboard should be able to used 64gb ECC UDIMM Ram. I have updated the bios and moved the Ram into each slots, each Ram stick seems to be working well and If I populate 2 Ram lanes (A2 & B2 or A1 & B1) it shows 32gb and useable but if I put 3 sticks, still shows as 32gb and same with 4 stick. I also cleared the CMOS and same issue.

The only thing I can think of, when I got the motherboard, did notice 2 pins slightly bent, but since I didn't have the tools and didn't feel comfortable I wouldn't break it, so just tried the cpu and since it booted up I thought it was ok initially. Is it possible the overlapping pins could be causing this issue? Is there something else I should try?

IMG_3215-2.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3219.jpeg

IMG_3164.jpeg

IMG_3166.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Squid said:

Always buy from the QVL from the motherboard, not what the memory mfg states works.

As for the problem at hand, the only time I've seen that it was bad memory

Unfortunately no one makes their DIMMs from the QVL anymore. My understanding if it was bad memory either the mb wouldn't detect it or MEMTEST+86 would throw out and error or the OS couldn't use it, but I've tried each stick individually in each slot with MEMTEST and each pair in both of the pairs of lanes (seperately as 32gb) and it passed MEMTEST also as was able to be used by the OS. But I might have missed something or my understanding of ram is lacking (first time build). I tried to look up everything to trying before posting. 

6 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

The bent pins would be the first thing I try. They are way out and would not contact anything.

I just ordered some precision tweezers off amazon, so hoping this is the solution but very nervous I am going to break the pin I am trying to fix (or drop something while trying to fix it and it somehow breaks all 1151 pins instantly). I looked up the LTT video on fixing pins, but if you or anyone else has any tips/tricks/guidance for fixing pins, i'd really appreciate it. 

If that's memtest from the bootmenu, it won't return any memory errors because the ECC is correcting them.  You'd need to download the up to date version (that due to licensing cannot be included with the OS) from their website

But, by bad memory I was more or less meaning "incompatible" / screwed.  Only time I've ever seen it

15 minutes ago, Squid said:

If that's memtest from the bootmenu, it won't return any memory errors because the ECC is correcting them.  You'd need to download the up to date version (that due to licensing cannot be included with the OS) from their website

But, by bad memory I was more or less meaning "incompatible" / screwed.  Only time I've ever seen it

Oh damn, thank you for this heads up, I will go look for that right now and try it out (or at least its good to have if I do ever solve this). Thanks. 

Ok, that makes sense, my bad in misunderstanding. Yea, I am hoping thats not the case, but if it is, I was looking around and thinking maybe 32gb might be good enough for my purposes for unraid. I think I am worried that maybe the bent pins might cause instabilities in the short-term or long term. 

20 minutes ago, Squid said:

Oh - it looks like I was using Memtest 86+, its the newest version, but maybe the wrong one and will try Memtest86

On 2/25/2023 at 5:02 PM, hsingh314 said:

I looked up the LTT video on fixing pins, but if you or anyone else has any tips/tricks/guidance for fixing pins, i'd really appreciate it. 

I've fixed a few bent pins, my advice is to use a good macro cellphone to watch what you are doing at a decent magnification, I've had good luck with a safety pin bent open, also, SMALL MOVES. Don't attempt to push it all the way back in one movement, just nudge it a little, take a look from different angles, see which way it most needs to go, push a little, look again from different angles, rinse repeat.

The pins are springy, but only in the direction they are meant to be springy, you will likely only get one shot, if you go to far and push back the other way, it stands a good chance of snapping off. That's why I stress small moves towards the goal, so you don't overshoot. better to stop a little short but still close enough to work than go to far and break it off trying to go back.