Remote access behind CGNAT

Hello all,

I was hoping for some suggestions if I may.

I have recently moved to an ISP which deploys CGNAT, as such, my previous setup of running the DUCKDNS docker so that I have remote access to my server no longer works.

I started setting up Cloudflared (even bought a domain) then discovered that you can not stream video. As remote access to my Emby server is the main reason for requiring this access, I abandoned this option.

I tried Tailscale, which was easy enough to setup, but found my video playback was buffering. Furthermore, it will be difficult to setup the Tailscale application on all devices that need to access my server.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

• 1 year later...

https://nfware.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-nat-and-cgnat#:~:text=CGNAT (Carrier-Grade NAT),a single%2C public IP address.

Our fiber ISP is also moving to cgnat. My friend is dealing with this as well. I will eventually have to deal with this as we use the same ISP, but my areas is not yet on cgnat....

They want to charge $15 for a static IP. You may need to contact the ISP and get a static IP... 

Sadly, its an issue in CGnat. In my case, the error is with their switch endpoints constantly changing every 5 min... Their media converter getting a 100.x address and the public ip being a 208.x address that changes every 5 min.

Since we can't access your assigned ip at the media device, this will make it harder to network vpn/ tail scale / any VPS network tool to use and connect.

Our ISP as I live in the USA is doing this to maintain an FCC license agreement and give them data... You may need to implement a Dynamic IP Name.

I recommend https://freedns.afraid.org/ signup here https://freedns.afraid.org/signup/?plan=starter

atm for me this doesn't work as cgnat doesn't translate the public ip to the "modem/media converter" and setting the dynamic ip to the ip address of the mdoem/media convertor doesn't get addressing across their "carrier grade nat" 

Good Luck!

Edited by bmartino1
Just now, bmartino1 said:

Our fiber ISP is also moving to cgnat. My friend is dealing with this as well. I will eventually have to deal with this as we use the same ISP, but my areas is not yet on cgnat....

They want to charge $15 for a static IP. You may need to contact the ISP and get a static IP... 

Sadly, its an issue in CGnat. In my case, the error is with their switch endpoints constantly changing every 5 min... Their media converter getting a 100.x address and the public ip being a 208.x address that changes every 5 min.

Since we can't access your assigned ip at the media device, this will make it harder to network vpn/ tail scale / any VPS network tool to use and connect.

Our ISP as I live in the USA is doing this to maintain an FCC license agreement and give them data... You may need to implement a Dynamic IP Name.

I recommend https://freedns.afraid.org/ signup here https://freedns.afraid.org/signup/?plan=starter

atm for me this doesn't work as cgnat doesn't translate the public ip to the "modem/media converter" and setting the dynamic ip to the ip address of the mdoem/media convertor doesn't get addressing across their "carrier grade nat" 

Good Luck!

This said. My friend did claim that teleport works for him. Not very well and a bit unstable/touchy but does with unifi/ubnt and a udm pro

so its possible but its all about using and or manipulating the ISP nat.

On 3/8/2023 at 9:48 AM, ytddewqf said:

Hello all,

I was hoping for some suggestions if I may.

I have recently moved to an ISP which deploys CGNAT, as such, my previous setup of running the DUCKDNS docker so that I have remote access to my server no longer works.

I started setting up Cloudflared (even bought a domain) then discovered that you can not stream video. As remote access to my Emby server is the main reason for requiring this access, I abandoned this option.

I tried Tailscale, which was easy enough to setup, but found my video playback was buffering. Furthermore, it will be difficult to setup the Tailscale application on all devices that need to access my server.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I had the same problem. You don't need a static ip but a public ip. 

My isp charge 30€/month for static ip but 3€ for public ip.

• Like 1
On 4/21/2024 at 3:10 PM, caplam said:

I had the same problem. You don't need a static ip but a public ip. 

My isp charge 30€/month for static ip but 3€ for public ip.

Thank you. yes, in USA My ISP charges $15 a month extra for a static public IP.
This is what my friend is on now, it it's working like before. This is something I will have to do eventually.