WD Advance RMA Experiences? - full week for me and still not shipped

javier911

Normally I don't opt for the advance RMA, which for those who may not know means you give them your credit card info and they ship you the replacement drives before they get your old ones back.  This time because it was holding up my unRAID build and everything else planned for it, I decided to do it for two 2TB Greens.  I'm in Canada by the way.

Quickly, I received the shipping notice with UPS tracking numbers, oh nice this seems to be going well.  Wrong :),  it's been a full week now, so 5 business days, and the drives still haven't shipped.  The tracking still shows that the shipment/label was merely created and no pkgs have been received by UPS.

I figure there has to be a lot of people here that have done RMAs with WD and particularly advance RMA.  Anyone have the same experience?  I think I've only ever RMA'd one drive with WD a long time ago, I rarely bought WD until only the last few years, but in any case I've never done advance RMA for any drives.  Really disappointed, and wondering if this is typical.

Definitely not typical in my experience.  I've had nothing but good experiences with WD RMAs, both advance RMAs and regular ones.  Advance RMAs generally reach me within 2-3 days.  Regular ones will take more like 7-10 days.

Perhaps the international border plays a role in this?  Do you know if your RMA is being processed in the US or Canada?

I would call up WD and ask them about it.  5 days just to process the shipment definitely seems too long.  Then again, I don't remember the exact terms of the RMA, maybe they claim 5-7 days or something.

I am in Canada as well.  The UPS tracking information is not availabe until it gets though customs.  I believe it comes from WD into Canada to a different company and then UPS from the drop location in Mississauga.

Please allow 1 business day for the shipping carrier to update their system

before the shipment tracking number becomes valid.

Your replacement drive has shipped from our warehouse;  however,  your UPS

tracking information shown on our website will still remain as "Billing

Information Received".  With Canadian RMAs,  the UPS tracking information

will not display updated status until the package has been released from

US-Canadian Customs and/or is out-for-delivery.  Please continue to monitor

the status of your package via UPS website:  http://www.ups.com

I am in Canada as well.  The UPS tracking information is not availabe until it gets though customs.  I believe it comes from WD into Canada to a different company and then UPS from the drop location in Mississauga.

Please allow 1 business day for the shipping carrier to update their system

before the shipment tracking number becomes valid.

Your replacement drive has shipped from our warehouse;  however,  your UPS

tracking information shown on our website will still remain as "Billing

Information Received".  With Canadian RMAs,  the UPS tracking information

will not display updated status until the package has been released from

US-Canadian Customs and/or is out-for-delivery.  Please continue to monitor

the status of your package via UPS website:  http://www.ups.com

Well I was just looking for people's experiences and the next step was to call, which I did.  UPS says they don't have any indication the package is en route to me, WD claims it definitely is on the way the cited the answer above.  So, the UPS tracking numbers are actually for the delivery between some intermediate in Ontario and me.  That makes sense then, thanks for pointing that out.  I should mention, the WD person on the phone completely failed at making that clear, he simply indicated they come from California over and over :).

I was hoping the advance RMA would be much faster, and I expected the replacements to come from Ontario which means shipping time would be maximum 2 days, all together I expected maybe 6 business days absolute max.  Oh well, guess I won't bother with it next time.

A collegue at work did a non-advanced RMA with Seagate and he had new drives a week later. He shipped the old ones to Toronto and the new ones came out of the USA somewhere. So, over a week for an advanced RMA is rediculous, even crossing the border. A border crossing with the proper paperwork (which WD should be well aware and cabable of) should only add one day.

Peter

i'm waiting on a WD advanced RMA as well!  Sat with no activity on the UPS site for 10 days (I'm in Canada).  Now UPS is showing an origin scan in Richmond, BC.  Looks like it finally made it into Canada.  Check the site again, maybe our drives were on the same shipment!  ;D