Beta10 on full Slackware issues - drive assignment on boot. Help!

I'm trying to install Beta10 on a full slackware box following these instructions:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_unRAID_5.0_on_a_full_Slackware_Distro

I've got most of the way through. However I'm stuck in that my drive assignments keep changing on boot, so they don't match my boot disk in the lilo.conf

It was fine before I added my unraid disks. Lilo would boot slackware from /dev/sdb.

However once I added my unraid disks the drive assignment for my slackware drive seems to keep changing between sdf and sdg and I get kernel panics.

So I have to boot via a cd to be able to change lilo.conf, but then when I reboot the assignment has changed again an it panics.

It's doing my nut. I've changed fstab to mount based on labels not assignments but can't get lilo to do something similar.

Any help much appreciated....

I don't seem to have any control over which drive ends up as sda...

It just randomly seems to assign letters :S

My boot disk is the only drive on IDE. The rest are all SATA, but it's getting assigned a random sdX letter along with all the other SATA drives.

Yes. My boot drive is the first disk, and the kernel is booting from it. So the vmlinuz file specified in the lilo conf gets loaded.

However that lilo entry has to point to a specific partition on disk. So

root=/dev/sdX

But as the assignment for this drive keeps changing it fails to mount the root partition.

Post you lilo.conf

Lilo doesn't point to a device like /dev/sdx... it should point to particluar partition on that device "/dev/sdax" (unless you are going partitionless). You are asking for trouble trying to mount a partition from a different drive as /.

Sorry I meant /dev/sdX2

Posting the configs is tricky as I can't boot into it without using the install DVD atm

it looks something like

boot = /dev/sdg

append=" vt.default_utf8=0"

prompt

timeout=50

vga = normal

image= /boot/vmlinuz

root = /dev/sdg2

label = slackware

readonly

but I can't set sdX and sdX2 to the right thing as it keeps changing and don't know what the right thing is

But how do I make this disk sda? That's my whole problem - I appear to have no control over the assignment....

Generally, if you are using the first SATA port on the mobo, and you make that device first in the boot order in the BIOS, and delete all other HD devices from boot order in the BIOS, that should make that device sda.

What helped in my case was if I disabled the BOOT BIOS support on my sata cards (LSI1068E and/or SAS2008). That's about the only way I'm able to get a stable 'sda' device. Though the rest of the drives on the sata/sas controllers always switch drive letters upon reboot, unRAID 5.0 beta 10 has never had an issue with that. It always redetermines the drives based on serial drive ids.