Newbie Cry for help Copying files issues

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Still having issues coping files to my Unraid sever.   Went through the first two videos: Unraid & Moving Data (Part 1)  from SpaceInvader one.     When I copy from one pain to another, I can do 3 tv shows and it will move as expected.  But if I do More than 3 it will go good and then will slow down and eventually stop.  Then I have a ton of empty folders on the destination pane.  Any ideas what I have wrong?  I do not have cache enabled drive currently, from what I have read I wouldn't use that for this type of file moving.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20230329-1210.zip

Is this moving data from an SMB share? I see a lot of these:

Mar 28 16:46:16 Tower kernel: CIFS: __readahead_batch() returned 554/1024
Mar 28 16:46:26 Tower kernel: CIFS: __readahead_batch() returned 904/1024
Mar 28 16:46:43 Tower kernel: CIFS: __readahead_batch() returned 803/1024
Mar 28 16:47:10 Tower kernel: CIFS: __readahead_batch() returned 664/1024
Mar 28 16:47:23 Tower kernel: CIFS: __readahead_batch() returned 68/1024

Not sure what they are about, but it's Samba related.

also note that you are using SMR disks, and this model especially is known to sometimes be extra slow.

Thanks JorgeB for your reply.  I was unaware of SMR/CMR drives.   I did some digging around, but have a couple questions if I may.  Should I start a new thread in this instance or can I continue here?

I will ask it, but feel free to move it delete it or whatever is appropriate.  

Can I mix SMR and CMR drives?  If so it looks like the best place to start a replacement is with the Parity drive.  Put a CMR drive there to start.

Am I correct that a ssd Cache drive will not do anything in a copying function?

When purchasing new drive, is there a drive brand/model recommended for an Unraid server?

Edited by ProblemWithField
spelling
  • Solution
13 minutes ago, ProblemWithField said:

Can I mix SMR and CMR drives?

You can, but if for example parity is SMR any writes can be slow, if parity is CMR only writes to SM

R disks can be slower, so basically for a good test you'd need at least two CMR drives.

14 minutes ago, ProblemWithField said:

Am I correct that a ssd Cache drive will not do anything in a copying function?

You can enable cache, but for an initial large transfer it's usually not recommended, because writes to cache will be faster, but when it fills up you need to start writing to the array or wait for the cache to empty, so it won't be faster in the end, you can do it temporally to confirm performance is better.

16 minutes ago, ProblemWithField said:

When purchasing new drive,  is there a drive brand recommended for an Unraid server?

Any brand will do, just avoid SMR if possible.

• Like 1

Been reading a lot about my slow speed issues.  Mine to be way slower than most complaining.  Mine many times drops into the KiB/s or even stated that its stalling, with the high average being about 34 MB/s.

I did change the one line mentioned in the Turbo write info, and that seemed to give me a little more at MB/s than the other way around.  In the mean time I have two drives coming.  I have not tried the command line copy yet, but plan to this weekend.  Thanks for the help so far.  

tower-diagnostics-20230331-0933.zip

So my two new drives should be here today.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:03 AM, JorgeB said:

R disks can be slower, so basically for a good test you'd need at least two CMR drives.

So my two CMR drives should be here today.  Would it be best to completely replace the drive currently under Parity 1 or move that one to the Parity 2 position and put the new bigger drive in the one position, and the second drive can just go in the array correct?