Support for [laromicas] ROMVault docker container

Application Name: ROMVault

Application Site: https://www.romvault.com/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/laromicas/romvault/

Github: https://github.com/laromicas/docker-romvault.git
Based on: https://github.com/jlesage/docker-baseimage-gui.git

Based on Alpine Linux, meaning that its size is very small 200MB.  It also has a very nice, mobile-friendly web UI to access ROMVault graphical interface.

Based on Ubuntu to show text properly.

Make sure to look at the complete documentation, available on Github !

Known Issues:

- Accessing several items in the help menu crashes the application.

- Opening TrrntZip or DatVault cannot be closed. (*fixed)

- Missing text on some parts (ROMVault Open Issue) (*fixed).

- DatVault seems to be broken.

Edit 2023-06-24:

- Updated ROMVault to 3.6.1.

Edit 2023-05-28:

- Updated ROMVault to 3.6 WIP5 which fixes datvault issues.

- Changed base to Ubuntu, it fixes text display.

Edit 2023-05-05:

- Fixed window management inside NoVNC, DatVault hangs the application.

Post any questions or issues relating to this docker in this thread.

Edited by laromicas
Anouncing updates
  • Like 2
On 3/31/2023 at 9:11 PM, foldedpaper said:

Thank you for turning ROMVault into a unraid docker app.

DATVault side of the application seems to be very broken too. Sometimes it gets stuck trying to load, text is not showing in the list and I also cannot exit the DATVault popup screen.

Can confirm DATVault UI doesn't really work. I was able to copy old DATVault files from my windows installation of ROMVault to my server and the docker does read it properly and I can auto update the DATs.

So the two things that would be nice to fix are proper handling of pop-up windows (I think Binhex Krusader uses NoVNC which seems to handle that well) and fix the text in the DATVault window. Maybe using NoVNC would fix the text at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 8:25 PM, ralphpotato said:

Can confirm DATVault UI doesn't really work. I was able to copy old DATVault files from my windows installation of ROMVault to my server and the docker does read it properly and I can auto update the DATs.

So the two things that would be nice to fix are proper handling of pop-up windows (I think Binhex Krusader uses NoVNC which seems to handle that well) and fix the text in the DATVault window. Maybe using NoVNC would fix the text at the same time.

DATVault has problems running in linux, GordonJ has made really good progress to fix this,.
The container is already using NoVNC, I fixed the the windows handling and I 'm testing with Ubuntu to fix the text, right now the docker is in alpine and there is some fonts issues it seems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting a Permissions issue:

[openbox     ] Openbox-Message: 10:30:00.041: Unable to make directory '/config/xdg/cache/openbox': Permission denied
[openbox     ] Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
[supervisor  ] starting service 'app'...
[app         ] + HOME=/config
[app         ] + export HOME
[app         ] + cd /opt/romvault/
[app         ] + ls
[app         ] + grep -i ROMVault
[app         ] + grep -iv Cmd
[app         ] + RV_EXE=ROMVault36.exe
[app         ] + cd /config
[app         ] + ln -fs /opt/romvault/ROMVault36.exe /config/ROMVault36.exe
[app         ] ln: failed to create symbolic link '/config/ROMVault36.exe': Permission denied
[app         ] + true
[app         ] + ln -fs /opt/romvault/RomVaultCmd /config/RomVaultCmd
[app         ] ln: failed to create symbolic link '/config/RomVaultCmd': Permission denied
[app         ] + true
[app         ] + ln -fs /opt/romvault/chdman.exe /config/chdman.exe
[app         ] ln: failed to create symbolic link '/config/chdman.exe': Permission denied
[app         ] + true
[app         ] + rm -Rf /config/.config/.mono
[app         ] + mono /config/ROMVault36.exe
[app         ] Cannot open assembly '/config/ROMVault36.exe': No such file or directory.
[logrotate   ] mkdir: cannot create directory '/config/xdg/state': Permission denied

Not sure where else to put these permissions at as I added both USER_ID and GROUP_ID as variables, gave them the proper numbers/id and then restarted the container with the same issue.

Edited by CyrixDX4
On 7/25/2023 at 9:39 AM, CyrixDX4 said:

Not sure where else to put these permissions at as I added both USER_ID and GROUP_ID as variables, gave them the proper numbers/id and then restarted the container with the same issue.

Please send me the xml of your config to try to replicate the error.

Edited by laromicas
  • 1 month later...

A couple of things I've noticed

* If you right click a dat and click Open Directory the application crashes.

* If you click the link icon in DatVault that would normally bring up the website for the dat in question it crashes.

* While it is scanning or repairing the box that comes up doesn't auto scroll down and scrolling left and right does nothing.  You can resize it though using the corner revealing the rest of the columns.

I honestly don't expect the first two to be fixed but I thought to at least get it out there for others to be aware of.

Edited by shinji257
Add one more crash scenario.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to run this on a server with a NAS attached as a rootshare. No matter what I do, even if i run it on the NAS when it goes to move the files from cache it "fails to move file" with an error and stops working. I cannot find any logfiles to see why it cannot move the files, all the files have the 0777 permissions so im at a loss as to why its failing. I have tried with both cache specific tosort folder and a "general' tosort folder both fail. it has no problem moving to the cache, only moving from.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 4:39 PM, CyrixDX4 said:

I don't know if this is the correct way to fix it, but I changed the premissions on the "ROMVault" folder inside "/mnt/user/appdata".

It worked for me, hope it helps someone else to...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

thank you for the container. I am a new UNRAID User. So forgive me if I am asking something obvious.

But is there any way to get access to the "RomVault3cfg.xml".

It isn't in the "appdata\ROMVault" config folder. Normally it is beside the .exe and cache file.

There are some RomVault options, which aren't accessible through the gui.

I would like to test the new "zstd" compression.

Thank you very much.

Edit: Hold on. I have't noticed that I have to make some changes in the settings to generate the "RomVault3cfg.xml".

I think this I had now fixed my issues.^^

Edited by BearWolf
Found a solution on my own. No help needed anymore :)
  • 1 month later...

Dang; This is so much faster than trying to manage ROMs via SMB.  Thank you for the hard work!

Now I have to decide if it's worth re-hashing my entire library to take advantage of it.

I may see if I can trick RV into using my existing RomVault3_2.Cache file, but I don't have much hope.

After some experimentation, I have some good and bad news.

Good news; this container is much faster than SMB/virtiofs when crawling shares, and scanning ROMs that have already been hashed.

Bad news; the performance of hashing / repairing new ROMs is significantly slower than a Windows VM. Especially CHD files.

It appears that while newer versions of CHDman are multi-threaded, the mono interpreter is less-so.

Good news; an existing .cache file can be successfully dropped into the appdata/ROMVault folder, and Launchbox will use it.

You can use a VM or more powerful machine to hash/build your library, initially, and drop the .cache file into the container for routine maintenance.

Edited by nmkaufman
  • 1 month later...
On 2/29/2024 at 3:06 PM, nmkaufman said:

Dang; This is so much faster than trying to manage ROMs via SMB.  Thank you for the hard work!

Now I have to decide if it's worth re-hashing my entire library to take advantage of it.

I may see if I can trick RV into using my existing RomVault3_2.Cache file, but I don't have much hope.

After some experimentation, I have some good and bad news.

Good news; this container is much faster than SMB/virtiofs when crawling shares, and scanning ROMs that have already been hashed.

Bad news; the performance of hashing / repairing new ROMs is significantly slower than a Windows VM. Especially CHD files.

It appears that while newer versions of CHDman are multi-threaded, the mono interpreter is less-so.

Good news; an existing .cache file can be successfully dropped into the appdata/ROMVault folder, and Launchbox will use it.

You can use a VM or more powerful machine to hash/build your library, initially, and drop the .cache file into the container for routine maintenance.

Thank you for your testing. I will take into account this recommendations.