Suggestions on ideal filesystem for backup usb drive (unassigned devices) NTFS vs. EXFAT vs. XFS

Hi all,

I'm looking to setup a 16TB external hard drive on my unraid server as a backup. The ideal scenario is that this is used encase unraid goes down. 

I'd love to be able to use the drive on Windows & MacOS natively. I'm leaning towards EXFAT, but wanted to if anyone had any other suggestions. This will be used to store large production video files - so a lot of files larger than 4GB

Thanks

If your intent is to use the drive for backup, I wouldn't use exFAT - the filesystem doesn't provide resiliency features (e.g., journaling), which would make it much more susceptible to data loss during a recovery-causing event.

If you want to use the drive with both Windows and Mac, I'd probably go with NTFS -- you'd just need to set up your Mac to be able to write to the drive using something like Paragon or ntfs-3g.

Edited by EDACerton
25 minutes ago, Frostyfruit said:

I'd love to be able to use the drive on Windows & MacOS natively

I have my backup USB drives that mount via UD for backup formatted in NTFS for using natively with Windows.  I have no Macs to worry about so NTFS works great.  As mentioned above, there are apparently ways to use NTFS with Macs as well.

If people (other than you; only knowing windoze) might have to recover information and plug a USB drive into a windows computer and hope to recover data, then NTSF is the way to go. I backup stuff that way... I hate admitting it.

<preaching> Teach your family that Windows is a very, very bad, bad way </preaching>

:) MrGrey.