Server crashes when it downloads stuff/ gets written to

Go to solution Solved by DAREKON,

I got crashing issues on my Unraid system. I've run memtest for 3 days straight and got 0 errors, I've reseated my CPU and ram and even changed the USB drive. It's all new Hardware. It crashes when I write stuff to the NAS, like when I'm uploading via FTP or downloading through a docker container. I've hooked up a remote syslog server and mirrored it to flash where nothing crash related appears in the log, even when I hook up a monitor to look at the Unraid CLI nothing appears, it just reboots without anything. It also doesn't write diagnostics to flash, I've manually created it.

senfknox-diagnostics-20230404-2037.zip

1 hour ago, Squid said:

You might want to try running the memory at its true speed of 2133 instead of its overclocked profile of 3200 (ie: disable xmp and instead use spd) and see if theres any difference.

Will there be any performance differences? It's mostly used for Plex transcoding and file transfer.

Then most likely you have a hardware problem, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

Update:

I ran the server in safe mode with all docker containers disabled for 6 days, then enabled the Plex media server, which ran well till today. I moved ~80gb remotely to the server where one file didn't upload right. Right after that, the server starts crashing when a remote client tries to log into the Plex server. But only if the server isn't in safe mode!

• 2 months later...

Update:
Im beginning to rule out specific hardware. I swaped the PSU but it still crashed.

Let me list the specific Hardwere that is in my System:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800g (Stock cooler)

RAM: 2x 8gb Corsair Vengance LPX 3200mhz (Running at 2666mhz)
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix b450 Gaming FII

PSU: Corsair 650tx (idk from wich year)
HBA: LSI 9240-8i 6Gbps SAS HBA FW:P20 9211-8i IT Mode
2x YIWENTEC Mini SAS 36P sff-8087 1m
Cash: 500gb SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 (Installed in the first slot from the top)

Storage: 6x 6TB Seagate IronWolf NAS HDD ST6000VN001 5.400rpm 256MB

5x be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM 25 (Running of 2x 1->3 Y-Spliters)

Issues started to appear whilst Downloading to the NAS in a windows 10 VM where all cores where passthrough

Update:

I just finished rebuilding it after swapping out parts. I flashed a new BIOS, changes the settings, then updated Unraid to 6.12.1... first I thought it was resolved since i got a whole hour worth of plex streaming and encoding but then suddenly, without any sings *click* reset.

I just don't know what to try anymore... I'll post new, fresh diagnostics in this reply.

I'll swap the CPU to a less powerful but known good AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and see what that brings tomorrow...

senfknox-diagnostics-20230628-2327.zip

Update:
It seems that i found the Issue. I think it was my LSI HBA that overheated and shutdown ant took the whole system with it.
I strapped a Fan to it and it ran fine till 2AM this morning, and then it crashed again.
My Plex server starts Maintenance tasks at the same time, so I believe that it caused this Crash.
I'll try to setup a syslog server today and do some other investigation, I will keep this thread updated accordingly.

Update:
It just died again while transcoding streaming to a remote client, so back to square 1 again, I guess...

To do today:

• Swapping memory to known good
  • Swapping CPU to known good

If this doesn't solve anything, I'll assume that my mobo is broken. I'll RMA it

• 1 month later...