$100USD Bounty - Dozens of HTTP 522 error. Everything loading so slow from the internet

I'm running an Unraid server with a couple of containers: plex, heimdall, deluge, etc.

I'm using Nginxproxymanager container on Unraid to expose these to the web, handle SSL and to access them with my own domain. I have Cloudfare set up as my site's DNS provider.

Whenever I try to browse to eg. *https://deluge.mysite.tld*

I get a whole bunch of 522 timeout errors. Most of the page resources like .css, html, etc. all load fine immediately but for some reason the **images** and other resources just take forever to load, or never load at all.

Here is an example: https://imgur.com/a/ONr17kC

My lab setup is pretty simple.

Router (AX88U) > Dual Gig Ethernet > Unraid Homelab > Containers (eg. deluge, plex, etc).

Here's the router settings: https://imgur.com/a/yp72dc2

The only thing I've changed on my router was the DNS. I changed to Adblock DNS just so I could block most ads on my home network without any extra fanciness.

I have a pretty decent homelab and 1gig fiber connection. So it's weird that I am getting these timeout errors.

Model:    Custom
    M/B:    ASRock X570M Pro4 Version - s/n: M80-XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    BIOS:    American Megatrends Inc. Version P3.70. Dated: 02/23/2022
    CPU:    AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core @ 3500 MHz
    HVM:    Enabled
    IOMMU:    Enabled
    Cache:    384 KiB, 3 MB, 32 MB
    Memory:    16 GiB DDR4 Multi-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 128 GiB)
    Network:    bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500
    Kernel:    Linux 5.19.17-Unraid x86_64
    OpenSSL:    1.1.1s
    Uptime:    59 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes

I'd appreciate any ideas on where I should start to debug this issue.

Edited by plantsandbinary
offering a $100 USD PayPal bounty to whoever has the solution to this issue
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't see this reply. Kind of gave up hope that someone could help.

I checked this: https://www.dnsbl.info/dnsbl-database-check.php

My IP isn't listed at all. So I don't think it's in any blacklist. The domain and TLD combo is brand-new. It's only been registered one month and has never been used or registered before from what I could see. It's a pretty unique domain and tld also.

I changed my router DNS back to <blank> and told it to use my ISPs DNS. I still get the same problem.

Do you have any other ideas? I was getting support from Cloudfare but they stopped responding... as I said it only seems to be images and other things on the server which is so weird. I'm using Cloudfare explicitly because I like that they proxy my IP so I don't need to give away my home IP.

I am adding a bunch of images here to show my current setup, it should be super basic and nothing out of the ordinary at all:

1. LAN and WAN DNS pages on my router = Blank/use ISPs

2. NginxProxyManager Portforward for: 2086 (HTTP) and 2087 (HTTPS) [both these ports are accepted when proxying your connection in Cloudfare]

3. All my Docker containers on a separate network called "Public" which I made via one of the Youtube SpaceInvaderOne videos

4. Cloudfare set up as my site's DNS with all of my subdomains and host domain proxied through Cloudfare.

5. I am still getting the Cloudfare HTTP 522 errors on images etc. on my site... the weird thing is that they do load and a few refreshes of the page will generally make things work but something super weird is going on.

I'll now PayPal the person who has the solution which fixes this issue $100 USD.

lan_dns.png.bf5164713bd4c5c8eef57f9b7db77be9.pngwan_dns.png.f989975bbb8eb9b2e43d95400ebf636a.pngport_forwarding.png.fa5876c8c3be60bc375d68778fb0ad73.pngunraid_ports.png.e77b680d00dea8a6b2a59d048ec6ede4.pngcf_dns.thumb.png.d326c210deafe9b4c94475a941c5f7f8.png

• plantsandbinary changed the title to $100USD Bounty - Dozens of HTTP 522 error. Everything loading so slow from the internet

Here's some more information because I am serious about getting this fixed:

An example of resources that failed to load.

http_522.png.855f75ec904ad57a41834552847355db.png

A more deep example of the request:

response_header.thumb.png.a0ee98642f96ef342ce87afb6bb4f710.png

Proof that it's the "waiting for server" issue. So some Firewall problem, but where?

timing.png.43742bb08a4c40b4d6cac019efa2ac48.png

Some of the images loaded, some did not? Why?

some.png.30aa0cf75a79c762084645d40936e17e.png

This shows that it's text/html requests which are being blocked. Websocket requests and direct image requests seem to be fine?

text_html.png.0162c53d2b26b7e1801568f6300a36d3.png

Same problem on Firefox btw, so it's not Chrome.

firef0x.thumb.png.00c257aba96fff47e1f3e6a7b3b77924.png

Here's the plain request preview, so this is the response it's getting:

preview.thumb.png.3074958dc75db1ae7f189b2d2f53250c.png

• 3 weeks later...

What's your SSL/TLS setting for the domain on cloudflare? You probably don't want Full(strict).

Aternatively it seems you're using a custom certificate that's for "*.xtu.icu" but it seems cloudflare won't consider it valid if it doesn't also include the root "xtu.icu".

Edited by Kilrah