ICY DOCK MB455SPF-B 5 in 3 $102 AR (thru 8/31) FS - Is this a good deal??

jbuszkie

No.

It's a massive piece of crap.

(Ok I'm exaggerating...)

But seriously - I wish I went for the supermicro first.  I now have both, and the supermicro (while only populated with one drive so far), is SOOOOO much better to me.  (Specifically the horrible arrangement of the Icy Dock power connectors...)

No.

(Ok I'm exaggerating...)

But seriously - I wish I went for the supermicro first.  I now have both, and the supermicro (while only populated with one drive so far), is SOOOOO much better to me.  (Specifically the horrible arrangement of the Icy Dock power connectors...)

But is it a good price for that massive piece of crap? :D

I've glanced through the thread above..  I'm not decided on that vs supermicro.. or just the norco case.. but that's another thread

The IcyDock is my second favorite 5-in-3, the Norco SS-500 being the first.  $100 is about the cheapest I've seen for them, but I still think the Norcos are a better deal.  Here's my thoughts on the matter.

I have one Icy Dock and one Supermicro, both gently used, that I would be interested in selling if you do decide you prefer them over the Norcos.  PM me if you are interested.

I'm using Supermicro's cages but have a couple thoughts on this.

An added plus for the Norcos is you can get 4 of them for $two-hundred-whatever when the 4220 and friends are on sale. Then, what the heck, cut off the rack ears and call it a tower. I probably would have gone this direction if I hadn't already started with Supermicro.

I've noted what you said about the Supermicro cages being a tight fit but in a good way. Firm, but nothing to cause concern. Might be the different cases or due to how we flatten drive rails.

Good review though, Raj. I'll finally go for a Norco on the next build.

SuperMicros are my favs, bit are a bit tighter fit depending on your case.  They are the only ones with thet larger 92mm fans.  Although the stock fans are on the loud side, they cool quite well.  And if they are too loud, you can get replacements that move more air at the same RPM as 80mm fans.  The SuperMicros use a U shaped mounting bracket made of aluminum that aids airflow around the drive and disapates heat better than steel.  Although maybe not everyone's favs, I don't think there is much debate that they cool the best in a fully populated drive cage.

Obviously these things involve a fair degree of personal preference.  Would be good to buy one you can return / exchange.

No.

(Ok I'm exaggerating...)

But is it a good price for that massive piece of crap? :D

I've glanced through the thread above..  I'm not decided on that vs supermicro.. or just the norco case.. but that's another thread

Don't let the Norco or Supermicro fanboys concern you.  Come on you guys.

Icy Dock's are first class and come out of the box with GOOD fans that don't sound like jet engines.  That price is fine. 

Don't let the Norco or Supermicro fanboys concern you.  Come on you guys.

Icy Dock's are first class and come out of the box with GOOD fans that don't sound like jet engines.  That price is fine. 

Icy Dock was my first purchase - was very excited to buy it.

It wasn't too long though until I realized that monkeys designed the backplane...  "slow" monkeys at that.

I've had two separate problems with my machine not functioning properly because of the damn cable connections there.  (One when the machine had been running for weeks, with all drives spun down)

To me the Supermicro is a better design - although to be fair, it is not yet fully populated and I may end up swearing at this one in a year, and swearing by the Norco.  :)

An overall indication of quality to me can also be seen in the trays.  Once I got my Supermicro, I realized what a good tray is.

I'm no SM fanboy - but I do hate the Icy Dock.  I'm amazed some people like them - especially when they are more costly and have some (serious to me) design issues.

Oh and my Icy Dock fan SUCKED.  I did remove it and am relying on good airflow from my Antec 1200 for now.  I could hear that damn fan, easily, on the other side of a door, which was located ~10 feet away from the server, and about 5 feet away fro where I was standing.

Don't let the Norco or Supermicro fanboys concern you.  Come on you guys.

Icy Dock's are first class and come out of the box with GOOD fans that don't sound like jet engines.  That price is fine.  

Icy Dock was my first purchase - was very excited to buy it.

It wasn't too long though until I realized that monkeys designed the backplane...  "slow" monkeys at that.

I've had two separate problems with my machine not functioning properly because of the damn cable connections there.  (One when the machine had been running for weeks, with all drives spun down)

To me the Supermicro is a better design - although to be fair, it is not yet fully populated and I may end up swearing at this one in a year, and swearing by the Norco.  :)

An overall indication of quality to me can also be seen in the trays.  Once I got my Supermicro, I realized what a good tray is.

I'm no SM fanboy - but I do hate the Icy Dock.  I'm amazed some people like them - especially when they are more costly and have some (serious to me) design issues.

Oh and my Icy Dock fan SUCKED.  I did remove it and am relying on good airflow from my Antec 1200 for now.  I could hear that damn fan, easily, on the other side of a door, which was located ~10 feet away from the server, and about 5 feet away fro where I was standing.

Ok, you got a bad unit.  I've gotten dozens of good units.  I did return one because it was defective and the temp alarm started beeping as soon power was turned on.   I've had bent cases and bad hard drives.  I didn't have any problem returning that one (newegg is pretty great about that).  Try to get past it.   I do like them and they are virtually silent in my experience - without having to buy another $15 fan and spend time replacing the stock fans.  To me it's superior in workmanship.  

Ok, you got a bad unit.  I've gotten dozens of good units.  I did return one because it was defective and the temp alarm started beeping as soon power was turned on.   I've had bent cases and bad hard drives.  I didn't have any problem returning that one (newegg is pretty great about that).   Try to get past it.   I do like them and they are virtually silent in my experience - without having to buy another $15 fan and spend time replacing the stock fans.  To me it's superior in workmanship.  

I absolutely agree that I may have had a bad fan.

It does not however excuse Icy Dock on the terrible SATA and power port design where you have to bend power cables over SATA cables thus increasing the possibility of connection problems that I have already experienced twice.

My advice - someone who only has one SM and one ID unit...  Night and day, stay away from Icy Dock.  (Oh and I don't even care about the ridiculously cheap tray design - but it is ridiculously cheap.)

Archived