Giada CUBE-N3-D2OB - $130 after promo

Rajahal

I am running OpenELEC-ION.i386-devel-20110727-r7581.tar.bz2 under the unofficial daily builds.  That was the most current one when I installed it.  They now have an 8/7/2011 build.  The same build is running flawlessly on my Asrock 330 box.  Wake from USB and all.

What USB IR receiver/remote  are you using? 

Joe L.

(I purchased one of these Giga CUBE units when they were on sale the last time, but have not yet set it up.  I need the remote control for it to work properly.)

I am running OpenELEC-ION.i386-devel-20110727-r7581.tar.bz2 under the unofficial daily builds.  That was the most current one when I installed it.  They now have an 8/7/2011 build.  The same build is running flawlessly on my Asrock 330 box.  Wake from USB and all.

Worked ;D Thank you. Now I have to decide weather or not to buy another.

I got mine working using the OpenElec nightly build from Aug 7th also (my birthday :))

It plays the Killa Sample at 42Mb/s easily, only 1 dropped frame. Haven't tested sound yet though. Mine gets pretty damn hot underneath it, is anyone else's like this? Also, the fan is a bit buzzy, but I've also got it on my desk and I'm only sitting less than 2 feet from it. BTW, that blue light in the front is BRIGHT! Has anyone thought of a nifty way to integrate an IR receiver?

It was a PITA getting into the BIOS since the manual says to press F1 when it's actually DEL. I was hammering DEL and it finally went into BIOS.

Sleeping/resuming from my USB keyboard works great, so I'm hoping it works as well with a USB MCE remote too. I'm only using a 2GB SDcard that works great, the thing goes from off to XBMC screen in exactly 30 seconds. That's faster than my 13 year old beast!

What's the fastest way to boot these for openelec?  SD card, compact flash (via HD adapter?), USB, SSD, HD, something else?  I'm interested in fastest off to on and sleep to on times. 

I'm using just a 2GB miscoSD card in an SD adapter that I got from my phone a few years ago. From pushing the button to XBMC screen it's 30 seconds. From sleeping to XBMC screen it's about 1 second, basically however long it takes for the TV to realize that there's something on that input.

The thing takes almost no power when sleeping, so might as well sleep it. But, 30 seconds to boot isn't an eternity either, and I'm sure with a faster SD card it would be even quicker. It's cool that the SDcard reader is built in too.

Mine gets pretty damn hot underneath it, is anyone else's like this? Also, the fan is a bit buzzy, but I've also got it on my desk and I'm only sitting less than 2 feet from it.

They must have used multiple fan types or models. My db meter battery is dead but my fans are nearly silent, and the thing stayed mildly warm stressing overnight. Maybe check if your fan spins down smoothly? Might be bad or rubbing?

It was a PITA getting into the BIOS since the manual says to press F1 when it's actually DEL. I was hammering DEL and it finally went into BIOS.

DEL F2 F1, repeat. :)

I have one and run OpenELEC (use the ion specific build) from a class 10 sd card (takes about 30 sec to boot from hitting the power button). I originally had only 1GB ram installed and it played everything without problems except for high bitrate blueray rips. I read somewhere on the XBMC forums that adjusting the video ram settings in the bios to 512MB dedicated this problem would be fixed. With 1 GB ram this did not resolve the problem but after upgrading the ram it plays everything including the blueray rips. If you don't plan to blueray rips 1 GB may be OK.

I am very happy with mine. The only con I have discovered after several months of use is that the bios does not support wake from usb so I can't turn the device on from my remote.

That's good to know about xbmc playing back BD rips, I just finished reading the wiki where is said it wasn't supported. What about BD menu support?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=What_is_XBMC_%26_What_Can_it_Do%3F

I have one and run OpenELEC (use the ion specific build) from a class 10 sd card (takes about 30 sec to boot from hitting the power button). I originally had only 1GB ram installed and it played everything without problems except for high bitrate blueray rips. I read somewhere on the XBMC forums that adjusting the video ram settings in the bios to 512MB dedicated this problem would be fixed. With 1 GB ram this did not resolve the problem but after upgrading the ram it plays everything including the blueray rips. If you don't plan to blueray rips 1 GB may be OK.

I am very happy with mine. The only con I have discovered after several months of use is that the bios does not support wake from usb so I can't turn the device on from my remote.

That's good to know about xbmc playing back BD rips, I just finished reading the wiki where is said it wasn't supported. What about BD menu support?

Here is another quote from the XBMC wiki:

Does XBMC Live support Blu-ray or HD DVD playback with or without menus?

No. There is not yet any C/C++ open source software out there yet capable of fully playing back Blu-ray or HD DVD so we can not add the code from somewhere in any case. FFmpeg (the open source codec-suit that XBMC uses) will probably relativly soon be able to decode all audio and video codecs used in both Blu-ray and HD DVD, but even when that happens you still have to get around the DRM encryptions used by the disc formats and there is not yet any C/C++ open source software library capable of that on-the-fly, nither is there any C/C++ open source software library out there capable of displaying Blu-ray or HD DVD menus. XBMC need C/C++ open source software libraries for all of these things to fully support Blu-ray or HD DVD playback.

Sounds very interesting...

I would like to buy one and in that case I would get 2Gb memory module (Corsair PC6400) , and will boot from a SD card with OpenElec

I'm planing to use it with the Rii mini remote keyboard:

http://www.tomtop.com/reviews-2-4G-Wireless-Mini-Keyboard-with-Touchpad----Black-C709B_p10332.html

I have a Tenda N150 USB wifi adapter (that works great with my WD TV Live).....How do I know if it is supoprted by OpenElec?

If not suported, what USB adapter is supported for sure?

Thanks

I would like to buy one and in that case I would get 2Gb memory module (Corsair PC6400) , and will boot from a SD card with OpenElec

http://www.tomtop.com/reviews-2-4G-Wireless-Mini-Keyboard-with-Touchpad----Black-C709B_p10332.html

I have a Tenda N150 USB wifi adapter (that works great with my WD TV Live).....How do I know if it is supoprted by OpenElec?

Thanks

I just used some cheap $21 2GB RAM from NEwegg and it works great. Mwave has their Avexir 1x2GB DDR2-800 set for $15 shipped, I'm kinda bummed that I saw that deal after I ordered the other stick.

I don't think this is still fr $130 though.

EDIT: Looks like the deal is good till the 15th.

No. There is not yet any C/C++ open source software out there yet capable of fully playing back Blu-ray or HD DVD so we can not add the code from somewhere in any case. FFmpeg (the open source codec-suit that XBMC uses) will probably relativly soon be able to decode all audio and video codecs used in both Blu-ray and HD DVD, but even when that happens you still have to get around the DRM encryptions used by the disc formats and there is not yet any C/C++ open source software library capable of that on-the-fly, nither is there any C/C++ open source software library out there capable of displaying Blu-ray or HD DVD menus. XBMC need C/C++ open source software libraries for all of these things to fully support Blu-ray or HD DVD playback.

So in other words, xbmc does NOT play BD rips afterall?

Thanks

I just used some cheap $21 2GB RAM from NEwegg and it works great. Mwave has their Avexir 1x2GB DDR2-800 set for $15 shipped, I'm kinda bummed that I saw that deal after I ordered the other stick.

I don't think this is still fr $130 though.

EDIT: Looks like the deal is good till the 15th.

looks to be sold out. $150 + drive ain't bad for XMB and smooth Blu-Ray. Being sold out saves me the decision.

So in other words, xbmc does NOT play BD rips afterall?

Sorry to be unclear. It plays blueray rips perfectly, just no menus.