Time to upgrade my Unraid machine. Parts List

Finally, time to upgrade my little beast. Currently running an i3-6100 with a mini itx asrock server board as it was originally a freenas system. Im wanting to upgrade it with an am4 socket but I dont think I want to shell the money for a server board. Not sure its really necessary.

Here is what I am thinking and would love some advice.

*Edited to Intel system*

i5-13500 14 Core

Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 LGA1700

Kingston KC3000 1TB NVMe M.2

TeamGroup T-Force Vulcan 16GB(2x8) X2

Deepcool AK400 CPU cooler

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Case

I was using quicksync for Plex transcoding. Not sure if I need to buy a cheap GPU for this build. I may be upgrading my desktop pc too which has a gtx 1070 in it so might be an option. Any ideas on a cheap gpu for transcoding would be nice

Im using the current power supply, 4x Red Drives, Cache SSD. The Samsung will become the cache.

Edited by mkono87
Change in hardware
11 hours ago, mkono87 said:

I was using quicksync for Plex transcoding. Not sure if I need to buy a cheap GPU for this build. I may be upgrading my desktop pc too which has a gtx 1070 in it so might be an option. Any ideas on a cheap gpu for transcoding would be nice

What are your reasons for a need to switch to AMD and a stand-alone GPU?

Instead of upgrading to a more current Intel CPU with iGPU (Quicksync)?

7 hours ago, Lolight said:

What are your reasons for a need to switch to AMD and a stand-alone GPU?

Instead of upgrading to a more current Intel CPU with iGPU (Quicksync)?

Honestly, no real reason. I figured its a much better price/performace ratio. Is there anything you would suggest?

15 hours ago, mkono87 said:

Honestly, no real reason. I figured its a much better price/performace ratio. Is there anything you would suggest?

Not quite sure of what kind of performance you have in mind.

Generally speaking, Intel is considered to be a more stable and efficient platform (C-states implementation).

Included in the chip Intel's iGPUs offer great transcoding performance while consuming very little electricity.

I can not see a compelling reason for AMD hardware in a Plex setup.

19 hours ago, Lolight said:

Not quite sure of what kind of performance you have in mind.

Generally speaking, Intel is considered to be a more stable and efficient platform (C-states implementation).

Included in the chip Intel's iGPUs offer great transcoding performance while consuming very little electricity.

I can not see a compelling reason for AMD hardware in a Plex setup.

Any reason to use an i7 over an i5 besides more cores? Was looking at an i5-13500.

3 hours ago, mkono87 said:

Any reason to use an i7 over an i5 besides more cores? Was looking at an i5-13500.

None

btw, i5-13400 and lower CPUs feature downgraded iGPUs - an UHD 730 as opposed to a better UHD 770 built into i5-13500 processors and up.

Edited by Lolight

This is what I have come up with now. 

i5-13500 14 Core

Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 LGA1700

Kingston KC3000 1TB NVMe M.2

TeamGroup T-Force Vulcan 16GB(2x8) X2

Deepcool AK400 CPU cooler

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Case

I originally though of a Rosewill 4U case, but I know I want to update my desktop pc in the near future as well. I have considered taking a crack at virtualiziing it and passing through my gpu.

I also noticed my local shop has these KINGSTON NV2 1TB Gen 4x4 NVMe M.2 on sale, and curious if I should pick up 2 for a pool for something.

Edited by mkono87
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Hi, isee you are about ready to put out about 250€ for an Mainboard , i would ditch ddr4 completely and i would show you this board instead

MSI MPG Z690 FORCE WIFI Gaming Mainboard https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09HK6DLMQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

it has 3 Pcie 16 Slots the upper one can do 16x Pcie5 OR 8x Pcie5 IF the Second one is Populated with 8x Pcie5 the third is Pcie 3 by 4x Lanes 

ALL the expansion you could need and it has 4 DDR5 slots.

DDR5 Crucials are quite cheap atm.

Edited by domrockt