Failed upgrade

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I just attempted to upgrade my server from 6.9.2 to the current version. 

I first used update assistant to see if there were any problems, found a couple old plugins which I uninstalled.

Once update assistant said everything was hunky dory I ran Update OS and I got this

plugin: updating: unRAIDServer.plg
plugin: downloading: https://unraid-dl.sfo2.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.11.5-x86_64.zip ... done
plugin: downloading: https://unraid-dl.sfo2.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.11.5-x86_64.md5 ... done

writing flash device - please wait...
Archive: /tmp/unRAIDServer.zip
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzfirmware
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzfirmware.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzimage
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzimage.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzmodules
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzmodules.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot-gui
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot-gui.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/changes.txt
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/license.txt
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/make_bootable.bat
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/make_bootable_linux
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/make_bootable_mac
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/memtest
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/syslinux/syslinux.cfg-
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzfirmware
*** bad sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzfirmware
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzimage
*** bad sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzimage
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzmodules
*** bad sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzmodules
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot-gui
*** bad sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot-gui
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot
*** bad sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot
*** The upgrade failed, but no changes were made to your configuration.
*** Your USB Flash is likely failing.
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

Mu USB drive is very old, I believe it's from 2008.  It's plugged into a USB 2.0 port and it's a Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 2GB.

I have no issue replacing it but before doing so I figured it was best to ask to see if maybe something else could be wrong.  I've also attached a Systems Diagnostic.

Please keep in mind that while I am a longtime Unraid user, I am not very good with Linux stuff so if you could explain stuff as you would to a 5th grader that would help :)

Thank you.

tower-diagnostics-20230504-0655.zip

Could you provide a bit more detail on this?  This stuff makes me nervous as I really don't want to mess up my server/dockers/etc (a big part of the reason I was still on 6.9.2).  How does one go about manually updating or share a link with instructions?

Thank you.

Edited by Moe
1 minute ago, Moe said:

Could you provide a bit more detail on this?  This stuff makes me nervous as I really don't want to mess up my server/dockers/etc (a big part of the reason I was still on 6.9.2).  How does one go about manually updating or share a link with instructions?

Thank you.

This is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

Thank you both, I am up and running on 6.11.5 and all my dockers all seem to be working just fine.  I also ran a chkdsk on the USB drive and it came back good.

For what it's worth, I did check the docs before posting and I ended up on this page after clicking on "Upgrading from earlier versions" which has very, very different directions for manually installing. 

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Moe said:

Thank you both, I am up and running on 6.11.5 and all my dockers all seem to be working just fine.  I also ran a chkdsk on the USB drive and it came back good.

For what it's worth, I did check the docs before posting and I ended up on this page after clicking on "Upgrading from earlier versions" which has very, very different directions for manually installing. 

Thanks again.

The problem is that there is still a lot of old documentation floating around.    If you want to make sure you are using the current version of the online documentation it is accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

I got there by following the Docs link at the top of the forum. 

I clicked "Docs", then clicked "Manual" and then chose "Upgrading from earlier versions",  I search on that page for manual upgrade and it says

The new release does not show up after clicking Check for Updates button

In this case, manually install the update as follows:

Navigate to Plugins/Install Plugin tab

Select/copy this text https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg

Paste into URL field and click Install

Which smelled funny to me because "The new release does not show up after clicking Check for Updates button" didn't really apply to the issue I was having and the described process didn't seem like I was manually installing an upgrade (if that makes sense).

I see now that the page/instructions that you linked to is in the troubleshooting section, not in the manual.

Anyway, thanks again, I am all upgraded and things are running smoothly.

1 hour ago, Moe said:

I got there by following the Docs link at the top of the forum. 

I clicked "Docs", then clicked "Manual" and then chose "Upgrading from earlier versions",  I search on that page for manual upgrade and it says

Which smelled funny to me because "The new release does not show up after clicking Check for Updates button" didn't really apply to the issue I was having and the described process didn't seem like I was manually installing an upgrade (if that makes sense).

I see now that the page/instructions that you linked to is in the troubleshooting section, not in the manual.

Anyway, thanks again, I am all upgraded and things are running smoothly.

Thanks for the that link.   I will look at the page you mention which is I think probably a hangover from an old wiki article as it does not concentrate on the latest releases.   At the very least see if a link to the to the process for doing the manual upgrade can be added as it works for all current releases of Unraid (and at one time was the only way to do upgrades).   The manual process is going to need revising slightly anyway for upgrading once you have a 6.12 release installed if you want to do it without removing the flash drive from the server.   Probably need to also look at explicitly covering what happens if you have insufficient space on the flash drive, or insufficient RAM to do it via the GUI as these are the more obscure cases that tend to not be covered.

BTW: The troubleshooting section is part of the manual - just not the one that you found when looking :)