Display ZFS ARC Statistics in Dashboard

With ZFS being made available, I'd suggest to give more information in current ZFS ARC size and usage/performance, in order to help the user making informed decisions on how to maybe tweak ARC settings (size).

Based on info from here: https://klarasystems.com/articles/openzfs-all-about-l2arc/

I'd suggest to fetch and process the output from "head -n12 /proc/spl/kstat/zfs/arcstats" and provide statistics in the Memory Stats in the dashboard (maybe with an additional info-icon on the ZFS bar).

The Statistics are also given in the link above:

image.thumb.png.b151b81a1a68bf39cbcd8416f0a3d5fd.png

many thanks in advance for considering.

regards,

Ford

Edited by Ford Prefect
  • 2 weeks later...

@Ford Prefect Not a replacement really, but I use netdata for this - having it graphed over time is significantly more useful than raw stats IMO. I don't keep it running indefinitely as it's honestly a bit of a pig when it comes to resources for a monitoring application, but it collects stats by default every 5 seconds, amounts to a one-click deployment, and allows me to quickly visualize the impact of changes I've made. Then once I'm done tuning, shut it down and go back to relying on grafana+influx+telegraf for longer term stats.

You can configure it to keep data for as long or as little as you'd like - personally, I'd keep it as a tuning tool as opposed to a longer term record of activity though. Small subset of the data it shows below, as I've been playing with some tuning for SMB today:

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 3.18.59 PM.png

• Like 2
15 hours ago, BVD said:

Not a replacement really, but I use netdata for this - having it graphed over time is significantly more useful than raw stats IMO. I don't keep it running indefinitely as it's honestly a bit of a pig when it comes to resources for a monitoring application, but it collects stats by default every 5 seconds, amounts to a one-click deployment, and allows me to quickly visualize the impact of changes I've made. Then once I'm done tuning, shut it down and go back to relying on grafana+influx+telegraf for longer term stats.

You can configure it to keep data for as long or as little as you'd like - personally, I'd keep it as a tuning tool as opposed to a longer term record of activity though.

Nice UseCase you have developed there (although nothing for the red-green-colorblind ;-) but I gather this can be changed easily)

I agree, that this a much better thing for analysing the Performance/Tuning but IMHO too big for the general user.

Hence I still think, that the proposed feature is still a good one...once implemented, one could defer to further, enhanced usecases with something like yours in the manual.

@BVDDo you have a Docker ready for this?