We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Accidentally reformatted cache pool drive!

So, don't shout at me.  You can't be harder on me than I have been!

I have (had) a pool of 4 cache drives on BTRFS.  For some unfathomable reason I reformatted the first one (because it came up on unassigned drives with a different label).  Now the entire cache pool is coming up as "Unmountable: no file system".  I have removed the reformatted disk and restarted the array hoping the remaining three will rebalance.  The rebalance button is greyed out and says it is only available when the array has started, which it has.  In addition, every so often the array stop button goes greyed out and the message changes to "unavailable: --btrfs operation is running". (see screenshots).  Is anything actually happening?

My question, basically, is "Am i fu*ked"?  Is there any prospect of recovering the data on this cache pool?  I do know it didn't contain any actual server "media data" but, of course, it does contain all appdata, VMs etc so all dockers and VMs are disabled.

Can anyone advise my best next steps before I go nuclear and reformat the entire cache pool and try to re build it from scratch?

Many thanks

D

Array disabled copy.jpg

Array enabled copy.jpg

Pool cannot mount without the missing device because the pool wasn't redundant, at least not for all chunks:

May  6 17:55:04 Tower kernel: BTRFS warning (device sdp1): devid 1 uuid d6e771ff-5581-44c5-9aa2-c57bc3405efc is missing
May  6 17:55:04 Tower kernel: BTRFS warning (device sdp1): chunk 3949479329792 missing 1 devices, max tolerance is 0 for writable mount

Was the formatted device re-formatted btrfs or a different filesystem?

Thank you so much, Jorge.

I will try as you suggest.  This morning (UK) I did discover a cache backup I made in 2020 and nothing of huge importance has changed since then, so, if all else fails the appdata directory from that might be a good starting point?

Once again, I really appreciate the help you have offered

Duncan

• Like 1