Array Won't Start After Server Reboot, One Disk Missing

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a significant problem with my Unraid server. After a routine server reboot, my array refuses to start, and I have one disk that is not functioning as expected.

Before the reboot, everything seemed to be working normally and no error indications were present. However, now one of my disks is missing and I'm unable to get it working. Additionally, another disk displays the status "Device is disabled, content emulated".

I've tried to troubleshoot the issue myself but haven't been successful so far. I'm hoping someone from this community could possibly guide me through the steps to fix these issues.

Moreover, if there's a way to reactivate Disk 10 while replacing Disk 1, that would be the most optimal solution for me. Any guidance on how I can achieve this would be incredibly helpful. I am ready to provide any further information required to diagnose the issue and find a suitable solution.

I can remove Disk 1 and replacing it with a new one. I could attempt to recover the data from the removed disk and copy it back to the array later on. If anyone has any advice or suggestions regarding this approach, please let me know. Your input would be invaluable as I work to resolve these issues.

image.thumb.png.3d7f1d512f5b5b292ccad215da3be8f1.png

An update on Disk 1: I connected it to my personal computer to check it, and by the sounds it's making, I'm afraid it might be dead.

tower-diagnostics-20230516-1457.zip

Edited by nicecube

After shutting down the server overnight, I restarted it the next morning and discovered that Disk 10 had been disabled. Despite leaving the server running all day, the issue persisted. When I powered it off in the evening and rebooted it the following morning, I noticed that two disks 1 were now missing.

Disk 1 is clearly defective, emitting unusual noises and displaying signs of damage. While Disk 10 doesn't appear to be faulty, Unraid continues to disable it.

Edited by nicecube
2 minutes ago, nicecube said:

Despite leaving the server running all day, the issue persisted.

Once a disk gets disabled it will remains disabled until rebuilt by the user, I can post instructions to force enable disk10, but it will only work if parity is still valid with it, i.e., if nothing was written to the array after that disk got disabled.

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Once a disk gets disabled it will remains disabled until rebuilt by the user, I can post instructions to force enable disk10, but it will only work if parity is still valid with it, i.e., if nothing was written to the array after that disk got disabled.

Probably worth pointing out that the process will enable disk10, but it is the emulation of disk1 that depends on whether anything was written to the array after disk10 got disabled.  

Having said that sounds like it might be the only approach that might work for recovering the contents of disk1 if that physical drive has really completely died.

I can afford to lose data it's only movies and series, I can download them again. What would be the best approach can you give me indications that I can follow to restart my array. Is there a way to force disk 10 online and try to rebuild disk 1. My english is not very good sorry if i misunderstood

If you don't mind losing all data on disk1 and just want to get the array back up do a new config (Tools -> New config) without disk1 and re-sync parity, if you want to try and recover data on disk1 and replace it with a new one you can try this:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed, including the new disk1, replacement disk should be same size or larger than the old one
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign disk1
-Start array (in normal mode now) and post new diags

I followed the instructions until the step to stop the array and unassign disk 1 (i added a new 6TB drive in the server (Disk 1)). To start the array again I have this message with a check box I imagine that I must proceed ?

image.thumb.png.c0ebb845ae742a6946f68a8f6369b49b.png

image.thumb.png.1991fe1b3e4cccacac58e8381d18fc2b.png

Edited by nicecube
2 minutes ago, nicecube said:

Do i need to add disk 1 to array to check the file system ?

No.

the idea is to check the emulated disk1 to see if it can be repaired so that the data on disk1 can be recovered.    If that is successful that will be the time you put back a physical drive as disk1 so a rebuild can put the emulated contents onto the physical drive.