ZFS cache pool or btrfs

I'm redoing my cache drives and splitting them up, I,e vms, dockers and downloads. 

Would it be better to move to ZFS over btrfs? 

Each pool would be a single drive (ssd or nvme)  

Would they benefit from snapshots For backups?

Thanks

3 hours ago, DGB said:

Would it be better to move to ZFS over btrfs? 

ZFS is better, but it's also a RC implementation in unraid, so at this point, you may run into caveats still showing up in RC threads. Specifically, zfs can do raidz levels reliably as compared to btrfs. Also has better bitrot protection

3 hours ago, DGB said:

Would they benefit from snapshots For backups?

Snapshots only help with fat finger scenarios, they are not true backups at hardware level. If you lose your pool, snapshots go with it. But, yes, they can help with certain human mistakes 

4 hours ago, apandey said:

ZFS is better, but it's also a RC implementation in unraid, so at this point, you may run into caveats still showing up in RC threads. Specifically, zfs can do raidz levels reliably as compared to btrfs. Also has better bitrot protection

Snapshots only help with fat finger scenarios, they are not true backups at hardware level. If you lose your pool, snapshots go with it. But, yes, they can help with certain human mistakes 

Thanks for the reply, 

I didn't realise the snapshots had to be kept on the same pool and thought I'd back up to the original array. 

15 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

With both btrfs and zfs you can send/receive snapshots to a different disk/pool of the same filesystem on the same or to a different server as a backup,

So I could have another pool with a spinning a spinning disk in the same file format btrfs or ZFS and send snapshots to it but can't to the array? 

Thanks

• 1 month later...