Your kernel does not support swap limit capabilities or the cgroup is not mounted. Memory limited without swap.

For every Docker container I start in the GUI of Unraid I see the following warning:

WARNING: Your kernel does not support swap limit capabilities or the cgroup is not mounted. Memory limited without swap.

image.thumb.png.7ec356d36a920654b053b80514c32fc0.png

Why? And how can I fix it? I seem to be the first / only one. I did nothing special.

• 4 weeks later...

The why is that unRAID 6.12.0 uses cgroups v2 which, if i understand correctly, does not have a controller for limiting swap. The memory limit flag trys to limit both available memory and swap space. What I havent been able to decipher is what the resolution should be, whether a version of docker or option in docker resolves it, or if there is something that can be configured in the kernel, or even if there is a resolution at the moment. For the moment I think we have to just ignore it and accept that docker memory limits dont apply to swap (assuming you even have swap enabled on you unRAID host).

Edited by primeval_god
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 2:20 PM, primeval_god said:

The why is that unRAID 6.12.0 uses cgroups v2 which, if i understand correctly, does not have a controller for limiting swap. 

While i still dont have any way to resolve the messages, i think I was wrong about cgroupv2 not having a way to limit swap. I think I misread something saying that I only has global controls for swappiness. That said the issue is still something to do with how docker and cgroupv2 are interacting.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got this message on one of my containers updates.

Never seen it before or changed anything (as far as i can remember).

Any clues as to how this affects things and how can I solve it?

• 1 month later...