Better performance

So I run (well working on) a YouTube channel. I’d like to show off distros of Linux and windows builds. Nothing ground breaking. 

inhave a Dell poweredge r630 with 256 gigs of ram. 8 sas disk drives that are 600 gig. I have a jbod mediasonic (non raid) plugged in to the usb 3.0 port. 

at the end of the day it’s about 24 tb in total without using parity (my important stuff is actually backed up to a bucket in aws). 

it seems the performance of the vms I set up regardless of the amount of ram is a bit slow and laggy. I know it won’t be amazing but I figured it should be close to native no? Maybe I’m setting the wrong CPU’s cores to the vm? I have 2 xenon processors. 

I also don’t have an ssd (I don’t have a place to put it in my poweredge). 

anyway, anyone have a similar setup suggestions? How can this be achieved? 

thank you 

• 2 months later...

I'm going to add, it's not just VM's... I've spent that last ten years eradicating Spinning Rust from every machine I work with. (Over 400 systems that I'm responsible for. I have over 100 machines that are in excess of 8 years old, but they run just fine in the medical environments that I work with so long as they have an SSD.)

You find the VM laggy, but I wonder if you would feel the same way if you loaded the OS natively on the bare metal you are working with?

I have over 100TB of storage on my machine and 80TB of that is rust... But none of my VM's are on anything other than SSDs

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 6:05 PM, Arbadacarba said:

I'm going to add, it's not just VM's... I've spent that last ten years eradicating Spinning Rust from every machine I work with. (Over 400 systems that I'm responsible for. I have over 100 machines that are in excess of 8 years old, but they run just fine in the medical environments that I work with so long as they have an SSD.)

You find the VM laggy, but I wonder if you would feel the same way if you loaded the OS natively on the bare metal you are working with?

I have over 100TB of storage on my machine and 80TB of that is rust... But none of my VM's are on anything other than SSDs

So I actually, before moving to unraid, had Windows Server 2019 on it and it ran just fine. I also used Truenas Core and Scale just fine (though those didn't have VM's but were running in a VM via proxmox if that means much