Question about SSD

Hi !

I'm new to UnRAID and mounted my first installation some days ago.

I'm on UnRAID 6.11.5. For the moment, I only have one SSD (so no parity disk).

I saw this post today, I didn't understand everything, but the question I have is: did I make a mistake by installing UnRAID now with an SSD? Should I have waited for UnRAID 6.12?

I'm afraid of damaging my brand new SSD (Samsung 980 1Tb) with a system that isn't suitable...

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

SSD won't be damaged, but it cannot be trimmed when assigned to the array, so write performance may degrade a little over time.

Ok because I read multiple times that SSD without Trim = SSD that lives less...

Once the update comes out can I change that or will I have to reinstall everything?

The update doesn't change that, you can assign the SSD to a pool and it will be trimmed, with v6.11 you can use xfs or btrfs, with v6.12 you can also use zfs, all support trim, note that you still need at least one device assigned to the array (same with v6.12), but you can use an old flash drive for example.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

The update doesn't change that, you can assign the SSD to a pool and it will be trimmed, with v6.11 you can use xfs or btrfs, with v6.12 you can also use zfs, all support trim, note that you still need at least one device assigned to the array (same with v6.12), but you can use an old flash drive for example.

So you are saying that the solution will be to add a temporary disk to keep the array, delete the actual disk, put it in the array to format it with the new format and remove the temporary disk ? A little like with a Synology NAS (and others I suppose).

Is ZFS better than the others ? Or should I just stay like it ?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm discovering this great piece of software that help me a lot !

6 minutes ago, Benji7790 said:

So you are saying that the solution will be to add a temporary disk to keep the array, delete the actual disk, put it in the array to format it with the new format and remove the temporary disk ?

Not really, you'd need to do a new config (Tools -> New config), assign a flash drive or other device to the array, then create a new pool and add the SSD to the pool.

For single device zfs is very similar to btrfs, and you can also use xfs.