Help with new memory on Supermicro X11SCZ-F

craigr

Here is the X11SCZ-F motherboard:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/x11scz-f

Through firmware upgrade the motherboard supports 4x32GB memory.  I want ECC unbuffered.  Most compatibility web sites seem to rely on old data before the board supported 32GB UDIMMs.  Even the unRAID IPMI plugin says "Max Capacity 64GB," but I know it is wrong.

I am currently using 4x16 Micron 18ASF2G72AZ-2G3B1, 16 GiB DDR4 @ 2400 MT/s.  These have are 1GBx8 modules.

https://www.micron.com/products/dram-modules/udimm/part-catalog/mta18asf2g72az-2g3

Is there any reason I could not use these:

https://www.micron.com/products/dram-modules/udimm/part-catalog/mta18asf4g72az-3g2

They are 3200 MT/s 2GBx8 modules.  I know the board only would run them at 2666MHz, but 3200 MT/s is waaaaay cheaper than 2400MT/s or 2666MT/s at less than half the price.  There are only really two modules made in 2666MT/s ECC unbuffered; one Micron and one Samsung (three if you count the unfindable Hynix).  There are zero 2400MT/s that I could find with unbuffered ECC.  There is nemixram, but I really don't want to go there.

It seems like it should work fine even though multiple compatibility web sites say no.  Will it work?  Am I fooling myself?

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

They *should* work.

Based on your good advice I ordered.  $318 tax and shipped for four NEW returnable modules is too good a deal to pass up.  Fingers crossed though because I ordered them on a VISA vanilla gift card so who knows what happens if I have to return them 😬.

God I hope this works 🤞

Edited by craigr

I most certainly will.  I couldn't find the tech support on Supermicro's page anymore or I would have asked there before ordering.  Guess what, I just found it.  Sent them the question anyway.  If they say "no" than I know.  Most likely they will say the exact same thing you did with slightly different wording.

We'll see!  Exciting times!

• Like 1

There is Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTD, but the cheapest I could find was $513 and questionable return policy.  It’s slightly better for my application because it’s CL19 instead of just CL22.  The Samsung is only 2666MHz, but that doesn’t matter in my application unless it means better chance of compatibility on my MB.  But seriously, $300 was already too much, $500 is a tad to crazy.

Dang, Supermicro wrote back.  The Hynix HMAA4GU7CJR8N-XN is validated to work in their lab and is only $6 more per stick directly from Supermicro:

https://store.supermicro.com/us_en/32gb-ddr4-3200-mem-dr432l-hl01-eu32.html

Four sticks $344 tax and shipped.

However, like you said, I think this means that the Micron MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2 that I ordered *should* work as it's essentially the same.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by craigr

Man, and those efficient jerks at Crucial already shipped my Micron order, so I can't even try and cancel it 😉.  Why do they have to be so darn efficient?  Couldn't they just hold my money for days needlessly waiting to ship like most vendors 😆

• Haha 2

image.thumb.png.f7dbeede4ffcea17093da268f87a3960.png

So far so good.  I've only been up 15 minutes.  I rolled the dice and installed it while my family didn't need anything on the system because I didn't know when I would ever have time (my six-year-old daughter still came to me in tears because PLEX wasn't working).  I'll run memtest tonight for a bit and watch IPMI for corrected errors.  Also, a nice surprise...

IMG_7220.jpg.a173a98411d96213ce587c451c4c55e0.jpg

• Like 2

Ran a pass of memtest and then restarted the server.  No ECC corrected errors reported overnight, it’s been up about 16 hours.  I’ve had a situation in the past on another system where a correctable error would happen once in a blue moon (that was hard to track down).  So I don’t think I can be 100% confident until maybe a month of use.  But I have a feeling this is all good 🤞.

Edited by craigr
Spelling… as usual
  • 5 months later...