We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

User share showing incorrect disk size

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hello,

I have a user share called 'datum'. That user share is using a cache-only disk (8TiB). I'm using this disk/share to host torrents that perpetually download and seed.

The cache summary card on Dashboard correctly shows the size of the cache disk as 8TiB. Main tab shows the size of the cache disk correctly. Under the Shares tab, it shows the size of the disk as being 16TiB. How is this possible?

The share is set to use cache-only and it is not set to use any of the disks1-5 in my array.

https://imgur.com/a/KxeGH9V

5 minutes ago, zachlovescoffee said:

So just by the circumstance that I accidentally created a folder called "datum" in disk4 and I have a share named datum on a cache disk, it thought -- "hmm must be the same; therefore, 2x the size"?

It's not arbitrarily 2x the size, it's the sum of all disks and pools with that share root folder.

17 hours ago, JonathanM said:

All root folders on all array drives and pools are part of the share, even if they are empty.

If the root folder has the same name, it's contents will be displayed together with all the other same name root folders in the user share tree.

That's a useful bit with user shares, you can have bulk storage and fast access files all displayed in the same tree, and move them as needed. The traditional use was to set a share to cache:yes, that terminology has been replaced with the current 6.12rc series, but the functionality was that new files added to the share would go to the fast cache pool, then overnight the mover would transfer them to the array, which has a much slower write speed. The file still appears in the same path, /mnt/user/sharename/filename regardless of whether the file exists on /mnt/disk1/sharename/filename or /mnt/pool/sharename/filename

Interesting. I must have accidentally allocated disk4 to the user share (datum) at some point before I got my final configuration in and forgot to remove the allocation when I switched. Now my datum share is on a different disk, which is set as cache:only in its own pool. So, this is okay/safe? The disk basically just operates as a standalone pool with no protection, which is fine in my case.