Zalman MS1000 - My Second unRAID Server

I think I'll leave it as a 9 bay server for now. It seems to be a good number for me. I can host one more additional drive if I need, but at the moment that connection is hooked into an eSATA port at the top of the case. Pretty nifty :)

Zalman drive bays are fine. Cheap, and do the job. You can use any 92mm fan, and it has a two speed fan control switch. Also only requires one molex per bay, so you can run all three off a single cable from PSU.

I think I'll leave it as a 9 bay server for now. It seems to be a good number for me. I can host one more additional drive if I need, but at the moment that connection is hooked into an eSATA port at the top of the case. Pretty nifty :)

Zalman drive bays are fine. Cheap, and do the job. You can use any 92mm fan, and it has a two speed fan control switch. Also only requires one molex per bay, so you can run all three off a single cable from PSU.

Nice rig !

What Zalman are those ? I can't find them anywhere. I'm looking at non-swappable 4in3's just to reduce cost. But if I could find something affordable in the swappable cat. I'd go for it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks speeding_ant, unfortunately I have run into some serious trouble with my just bought ms1000-hs2 and zm-hdr1. When I insert some drives in the cage, either those that came with the ms1000 or in the separately bought zm-hdr1, none of the blue leds light up, and the drives dont show up in the bios.

After further investigation I noticed that only the tip of the SATA connector gets inserted in the connector of the back-plane of the zm-hdr1. I just wonder if this is by design, or a flaw. I think its common practice in electronics that a connector gets fully seated.

Edit:

Seems I just was too quick with my conclusions:

I am used to the "automated" disk insertion of QNAP and Thecus NASes and HP WHS. In my opinion that is the way it should be: Mount the drive in the tray, shove the tray with disk in the cage, lock the tray and disk in place with the handle on the front of the tray. And that should be it. All electical connections should be made and reliable.

Not so in the ms1000/zm-hdr1: After closing the handle I had to push in the tray a little further so the SATA connector would be fully inserted.

Well, lesson learned here: Don't expect a 35 Euro cage to compete with a 150 Euro one.

For me it's a little nuisance that I can easily learn to live with.

Maybe it is just my ms1000 but I doubt that because I had the same experience with a separately bought zm-hdr1