We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Force Close Midnight Commander via Stop/Shutdown Script?

I seem to always have Stop/Shutdowns hang due to "mc" being open. I assume this is midnight commander. I always confirm that I have no open midnight commander sessions, but it still stays open. The second I kill the PID then the server completes the stop/shutdown. 

Is there a way to force close midnight commander via a Shutdown / Stop script?

Just now, newoski said:

That would just leave a partial file, right? Any way to search for those and remove? 

I'm not aware of a quick method. The only thing I can think of would be file compare that looks at identical named files that don't binary match.

Depending on the paths used in the mc session you could end up with quite a mess.

4 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

I'm not aware of a quick method. The only thing I can think of would be file compare that looks at identical named files that don't binary match.

Depending on the paths used in the mc session you could end up with quite a mess.

What is the right way to go about figuring out why midnight commander is getting stuck open, then?

1 hour ago, newoski said:

I only ever access it via browser. Desktop computer or mobile phone. But I confirm that both are closed out and MC stays open when shutting down or stopping server

I think I remember some issue with browser sessions not closing properly, perhaps try using Putty on the desktop to SSH instead and see how it goes. If you really need console from the mobile phone, there are several ssh clients available, I've not tried any so don't have any specific recommendations. 

• Like 1