Unraid Hanging

Go to solution Solved by Brandonb1987,

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried 6.12.3-rc3 and now I cant seem to start the array. I think there's 1) something going on with my docker.img but I can't even start the array now with it disabled. 2) I briefly saw that my cache drives weren't visible after starting the array, right before the UI crashed. 3) It hangs for a few minutes then the UI starts again but the array is down and needs to be started. Then the UI crashes if I try to navigate anywhere.

Not sure what's going on but I cant even log in anymore to get the syslog.

Downgraded back to 6.11.5 and now I can't start the array on it either from backup.

Got a syslog now that I can actually get it.

unraid-diagnostics-20230714-1825.zip

Edited by Brandonb1987

Ok now this is strange. I've installed 6.12.3rc3 on the usb, only copied over the config files for settings and disks etc but without a single plugin, docker off, and letting it create all the random other files it auto populates. The array starts, but It does the same thing more or less.  Got a syslog for this one too. 

Tried to install the unraid connect plugin, hangs, crashed, now my array is down.

unraid-diagnostics-20230714-1933.zip

Edited by Brandonb1987

Yes because I suspect it never even starts. It crashes before it starts the array.

This happens without a single plugin installed (fresh USB), but starts fine if I start it in Safe Mode. Which is strange in itself.

I'm going to try and see if 6.11.5 is any better because it's become a problem on all versions.

I've since deleted my docker.img as well, that did not solve the issue either.

2 hours ago, Brandonb1987 said:

Yes because I suspect it never even starts. It crashes before it starts the array.

This happens without a single plugin installed (fresh USB), but starts fine if I start it in Safe Mode. Which is strange in itself.

I'm going to try and see if 6.11.5 is any better because it's become a problem on all versions.

I've since deleted my docker.img as well, that did not solve the issue either.

Have you checked if there are any files in an ‘extras’ folder on the flash drive?   As well as not loading plugins I think Safe Mode also does not install any packages from there.

I'm starting to think this actually may be a failing power supply.

I restored my 6.11.5 backup and now it powers off and on during the boot process. It is also doing it with 12.1/2/3. There is no specific point in the boot where it does it so I'm inclined to think this could be hardware related.

I will be ordering a new one tonight to replace and will report back if this is the solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have some progress...

Turns out wasn't the PSU. Tried a new one and it was doing the same. Slowly ruled out parts one by one and looks like a dead mobo. Have a temporary replacement in while the actual one ships from china. ETA 2-3 weeks only, hopefully...

After a handful of other issues with what I've ruled as a docker image corruption, things are back up and working perfectly on 6.11.5

However, a fresh 6.12.3 still hangs. I will report back when I have another moment to do an upgrade and capture the hang syslog.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

Well I'm not sure what was going on but it seems replacing the motherboard has "fixed" the issue. I replaced the mobo, upgraded to 6.12.3 shortly after and has been stable since? Currently up ~3 days without a reboot or stall so I will consider it having been the issue and solved.

Thanks to everyone for helping.

• Like 1