YeongYang YY-0221 Case - free

I have a YeongYang YY-0221 case I've been using for several years as a server.  I no longer need it. 

http://www.yycase.com/yy-0221.htm

This is a cube case that holds 7 internal 3.5" drives. 2 external 3.5" drives, and 6 external 5.25" drives.  With a couple 3.5 in 5.25 cages you can put nearly 20 drives in this chassis.  The chassis has a fanless PSU (350W?) and an intel MB (celeron?).  This box was build to be quiet and I ran it for years with only one chassis fan running (CPU uses a passive heatsink).  It also has a floppy and DVD drive.  No HDD is installed.

I was going to junk it but the case is unique so maybe someone wants it for free.  The only caveat is that it's local pickup only.  I don't have a box and don't really want to spend the money/time to try and come up with one.

I'm in San Jose, CA.  PM me if interested.

Moderators - If this post violates forum rules I apologize and please delete it.

A pity you're in CAlifornia and not in Montreal, CAnada. :)

I sort of thought the same thing.. except, chicago. I even thought about giving my buddy in palo alto a call..

While it is not exacly modern, some new parts, a new PSU, a little TLC and some 5in3's would be a nice filerserver with potential to make it pretty silent with minimal modding.

plus it would make a nice end table.... :P

I was going to junk it but the case is unique so maybe someone wants it for free.  The only caveat is that it's local pickup only.  I don't have a box and don't really want to spend the money/time to try and come up with one.

If someone is willing to pay for shipping, you can bring it to a UPS store.

I shipped a Giant Lava lamp from NYC to Seattle packed and shipped for $150.

I'm sure this would be an easier ship.

If someone is willing to pay for shipping, you can bring it to a UPS store.

I shipped a Giant Lava lamp from NYC to Seattle packed and shipped for $150.

I'm sure this would be an easier ship.

Oh I'm willing to pay shipping all right, depending on what that would cost.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I picked up this case from Bizarroterl a few days ago, and tonight I dismantled it and cleaned it out.  It is definitely an interesting case, and my first foray into cube cases in general.  Of course I would like to build a server out of it, but unfortunately the 5.25" bays have the standard tabs that will be very difficult to flatten to accommodate 5-in-3 cages - they are made of tough steel, and there's no way to get the C-clamp around them.  I may resort to a hammer, but I'm considering other options first.  Single hot swap bays will fit with no problem, as will certain models of 4-in-3 drive bays.

I also noticed that the motherboard mounts can be screwed into either side of the motherboard tray, which gave me a crazy idea - what if I mounted two motherboards in the case and ran two systems simultaneously off one power supply?  I'm not exactly sure how the cabling would work or if it is even possible, but I'm thinking an HTPC and server could be built into this case with plenty of room to spare.  Does anybody know any tricks that might make this possible?  Of course with all the ESXi progress it probably makes more sense to go with that route instead of two motherboards.  Still, food for thought.

I considered running two MBs in the case but decided against it for a couple reasons.  The main reason was it was acting as my main server (file, email, etc) and tearing it apart while maintaining those services was problematical.

I ended up making my own case that holds 2 Supermicro MBs.  One runs ESXi and hosts all my various servers and the other runs unraid.  There are 2 300W PSUs, 10 2GB HDD for unraid, and several SSDs for ESXi and unraid.  By making my own case I was able to configure it for airflow and thus was able to keep the noise at minimal levels.  The use of 300W PSU & 10HDDs hasn't been a problem as I spin up in groups.  It isn't pretty, but it works very well, it's efficient, and quiet.

I've definitely had the pico PSU in mind for this and other custom builds.  The external power brick is clunky, but for an HTPC it would be fine.

Bizarroterl, I would love to see some photos of your custom built case, even if it isn't pretty!  Sounds like an interesting design.

I realized this morning that two 5-in-3 cages will fit with no case modification needed!  I had forgot that the 5.25" bays use drive rails, so the dividing tabs are meant to support the rails not to divide the bays.  With certain 5-in-3s the spacing will still be a bit tight with the PSU immediately behind them, but it should be doable.

Running 2 mobos in the box is really not that difficult. You'll need to create a custom cable though. And of course you'll need a big enough PSU to accommodate both mobos.

You'll need to find/make a y-cable for te motherboard power. The key is that you'll need to pick a master and a slave system. the plug for the slave system will not be connected to the PS_ON pin. You'll then connect the case power switch to the master mobo. When you turn on the master it will activate the PSU and in turn power on the slave mobo. The downside is that you won't be able to independently turn one or the other on/off.

Running 2 mobos in the box is really not that difficult. You'll need to create a custom cable though. And of course you'll need a big enough PSU to accommodate both mobos.

You'll need to find/make a y-cable for te motherboard power. The key is that you'll need to pick a master and a slave system. the plug for the slave system will not be connected to the PS_ON pin. You'll then connect the case power switch to the master mobo. When you turn on the master it will activate the PSU and in turn power on the slave mobo. The downside is that you won't be able to independently turn one or the other on/off.

Thanks for the tips!