Moving appdata share to different ssd drive

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hey

When I was setting up my Unraid server, I accidentally made a mistake in the configuration. I have two shares appdata and data. I've got two SSDs, 1TB Cache for downloads etc. and a 500GB SSD called "Neptune" for docker config, VMs, system, ....

Currently configured like this:

data: Primary Storage Cache, secondary storage Array, Mover action: Cache -> Array

appdata: Primary Storage Cache, secondary storage Array, Mover action: Array -> Cache

Now obviously what I wanted to do for appdata is Primary Storage Neptune, secondary storage None.

I've been installing some docker containers as well as copying some exisiting media onto the data share. The Cache drive filled up pretty quickly and the mover hasn't run yet. I guess at this point some of my docker configs are on the Cache drive and some have been written to the Array directly when the Cache drive got full. I want them to be on the Neptune drive and not be moved at all. What do I do?

Here's what I've been thinking:

1. Disable Docker and VM.

2. Run the mover manually. This should move all the media from Cache to Array and all of the Docker configs currently on the Array should be moved from Array to Cache.

3. Change Share settings for appdata to Primary Storage Neptune and Secondary Storage None.

4. Run the mover manually again. This should move all the Docker configs from the Cache drive to the Neptune drive. This is where I'm not sure if this is something the Mover supports as well.

5. Enable Docker and VM.

Is this the way to go or do I have to manually do anything else?

4 minutes ago, Sebb00 said:

3. Change Share settings for appdata to Primary Storage Neptune and Secondary Storage None.

4. Run the mover manually again. This should move all the Docker configs from the Cache drive to the Neptune drive. This is where I'm not sure if this is something the Mover supports as well.

There is no Mover action unless you set Secondary storage, so you will have to set it to Array until you get things moved, then you can change it to None.

• Solution

You have left our step 1.5 where you change the setting for mover on appdata to be cache->array as you want everything for that share to end up on the array.

as was mentioned step 3) needs the array set as secondary storage and mover action to be array->cache.

4. Mover will now move array->pool.    Mover does not support moving files between pools, only between the array and the linked pool.

step 4.5 change the settings for appdata to set secondary storage to none as all of appdata should now be on the pool.   You can also set Exclusive mode for better performance.

step 4.6. Check all docker/config configurations to make sure they never reference the old cache pool.    Going via the ‘appdata’ share is now best as with exclusive mode you get maximum performance.

Thank you guys.

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

You can also set Exclusive mode for better performance.

I had some issues with that since I couldn't change it to "Yes" even though secondary storage was set to none, enabled in Global Settings and I wasn't exporting it as SMB share. I also made sure to delete the empty appdata folder on the Cache drive. After checking several times if I missed something it just switched to Yes.