6.11.5 New disks not showing up in unassigned devices

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Bought two exos 18tb drives to replace a single, smaller parity drive. Planned to start the array and let it rebuild, then install the old parity drive as a data drive. However, the new disks do not show up as unassigned devices or with lsscsi

Troubleshooting steps so far:

Created a new config: Disks predictably lost their assignments, but new disks are not visible.

Rebooted server: No change.

Installed a drive that was previously part of the array to rule out sudden hardware failure on the sata port where one of the new drives will be installed: drive showed up as predicted. Disk swapped back to the new drive, new drive did not show up.

Attached both drives to other computers to rule out double-DOA: Both disks show up on both windows and linux mint PCs.

Diagnostics attached.

serbur-diagnostics-20230723-1501.zip

1 hour ago, cYnIx said:

Are you trying to add SAS hard drives to a SATA system? You may need a different HD controller to run these drives if so. 

All drives are SATA. Some drives are attached to an LSA card in IT mode. Those drives show up. If I unplug them and plug in the new drives, they don't show up.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Do the new drives show in the BIOS?  Sounds like you might have a BIOS setup issue.

I haven't had the time or resources to check bios on a normally headless system. I'll see what I can find. If they don't show up in BIOS, what should I do about that? I can't think of any reason why a drive of a certain size would show up, but not a slightly larger drive, at least not on a modern system.

14 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The other possibility is that the drives suffer from the 3.3v issue and need that pin taping off.

My understanding is that that's specifically an issue to WD easystore shucked drives, but correct me if I'm wrong, please. Also, the drives show up normally on other systems, Windows and Linux.

Edited by oblivion2k