Disk Disabled - Emulated

I logged into unraid (6.12.3)  last night to find disk 5 with a red x and disabled with the message that it is being emulated. Using Unbalance i have copied the data from disk 5 (I assume through emulation) to a spare disk that was in the server (for this precise scenario). The data is intact and sitting on the spare disk with no issues. I then stopped the array, unassigned disk 5 so that it now shows 'Not Installed', restarted the array and have started a parity check.

I assume that once the parity check (although instead of start parity, it now shows read-check one the main page, I guess this is the same thing?) then I should be back up and running?

Disk 5 is now shown under Unassigned Devices where I will leave it until I get the chance to remove the drive. Im not fussed about reusing it or its data, as I have copied the data to disk 4

Unraid_Main.JPG

Unraid Parity.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20230730-1955.zip

11 minutes ago, apefray said:

restarted the array and have started a parity check.

You started a read check, and IMHO not much point in doing that now, also moving the data is not something we recommend, unless maybe you cannot rebuild that disk and prefer to redo the array without it.

Disk5 looks healthy, most likely a power/connection issue, check/replace cables and rebuild:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself

Funny you say that, as I scheduled the parity check to start at 18:30, which it did. But like you, I am a little confused as it says that mover is disabled due to parity check running, but it also says read-check is running. 

For clarification, I did not manually start the supposed parity check manually, I started it through the scheduler. 

I want to remove the disk that is causing an issue anyway as its old, hence me copying data onto the spare disk. I'm not too worried about losing the data on that disk anyway, I just want to get unraid into a stable state as soon as possible as I only have the one parity disk and am vunreable at present. 

Oh, and by the way, I had already followed the procedure to rebuild it as per your link, but it got to about 6% then disabled the disk again. Hence proceeding with the above. 

Edited by apefray
More info

Actually, just a thought. If I stop whatever is running (parity or read check), shutdown the server move disk 5 to an empty Bay, then follow your link to rebuild, that should do the trick shouldn't it? 

I can delete the data on disk 4 once the rebuild has finished. 

Doing this should get me back up and running and will confirm if its the power or Sata cable that is causing the issue. 

@JorgeB

Why, if I have a parity drive installed (as per picture above) am I now only seeing Read-Check instead of Parity Check and am unable to run a parity check either manually or through the scheduler. 

On the Main Page, the check button starts a Read-Check, and if I set it under schedule, as you quite rightly pointed out, it also only does a Read-Check even though I have a parity drive?

As can be seen, parity checks were working perfectly until this drive was disabled? Am I missing something?

Parity.JPG

Parity_History.JPG

Edited by apefray

You get a read check if your data is not protected because you have as many drives disabled as you have parity drives (as seems to be the case here).    You are not currently protected against another drive failing until you clear the disabled state on disk5.    The system will currently be emulating the contents of disk5 using the combination of parity plus the other data drives.   

tower-diagnostics-20230805-1329.zip

Thanks @itimpi That makes perfect sense now.

So, I've moved the drive that has been disabled from bay 5 (thinking it maybe an issue with a cable) to bay 14 of the server. Unraid, again, has restarted a re-build after assigning the drive back to Disk 5, but yet again, it stopped rebuilding after 26 minutes and has disabled the drive. Remember, this drive is now in another bay in the server so isn't on the same cable as previously.

So, what next..... As @JorgeB says, it appears the disk looks healthy so not sure why Unraid keeps disabling it. I have attached another diagnostics, so someone might be able to tell what is going on.

Remember also, I do have 2 empty drives (disk's 4 & 6, although one of them is holding the data that I copied using unbalance from the emulated drive) that I could utilise, however both are 3TB drives, whereas the drive that is giving me issues is a 6TB drive, but it only contains 1.03TB of data.

The disk causing the issue is currently empty, as Unraid thinks the data now resides on Disk 4, but its the parity I'm trying to sort out to protect the data.

Unraid_Array.JPG

Edited by apefray

Just a thought on this, but seeing as the data is now residing on disk 4 and removed from disk 5 (the failed disk), could I follow this:

Removing data disk(s)

Removing a disk from the array is possible, but normally requires you to once again sync your parity disk(s) after doing so. This means that until the parity sync completes, the array is vulnerable to data loss should any disk in the array fail.

To remove a disk from your array, perform the following steps:

Stop the array

(optional) Make note if your disk assignments under the main tab (for both the array and cache; some find it helpful to take a screenshot)

Perform the Reset the array configuration procedure. When doing this it is a good idea to use the option to preserve all current assignments to avoid you having to re-enter them (and possibly make a mistake doing so).

Make sure all your previously assigned disks are there and set the drive you want removed to be Unassigned

Start the array without checking the 'Parity is valid' box.

A parity-sync will occur if at least one parity disk is assigned and until that operation completes, the array is vulnerable to data loss should a disk failure occur.

If i can remove the failed disk, then force a parity sync, could this resolve my issue?

30 minutes ago, apefray said:

Just a thought on this, but seeing as the data is now residing on disk 4 and removed from disk 5 (the failed disk), could I follow this:

If i can remove the failed disk, then force a parity sync, could this resolve my issue?

Disk5 was getting write errors which is why it was disabled.

Are you prepared to lose the contents of disk5?

I used Unbalance to copy the data from the emulated disk to disk 4 so I have the data on another disk (Im guessing its still being emulated as well until a parity check is done)

I can now remove the failed disk, but just need to do a parity check so that the parity now sees disk 4 with the data.

1 minute ago, apefray said:

I used Unbalance to copy the data from the emulated disk to disk 4 so I have the data on another disk (Im guessing its still being emulated as well until a parity check is done)

I can now remove the failed disk, but just need to do a parity check so that the parity now sees disk 4 with the data.

No, that is not the way to proceed.   Disk4 has the data from what you say (it is NOT being emulated.

As long as you are happy to lose any files that are currently on disk5, then get disk5 out of the array you need to do:

• Tools->New Config and select the option to keep all current assignments (the New Config tool is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page).
  • Return to the Main tab and unassigned disk5
  • if you want to you can reorder other array drives at this point
  • Start the array to rebuild parity based on the new drive set
21 hours ago, apefray said:

So, what next..... As @JorgeB says, it appears the disk looks healthy so not sure why Unraid keeps disabling it. I have attached another diagnostics, so someone might be able to tell what is going on.

If the disk still got disabled using a different slot if may be a bad disk, despite a good SMART, try a different one in its place if available or remove from the array.