Overclocking before buying a new CPU/Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by ConnerVT,

After creating a lot of videos with Premiere Pro and using OBS with NDI on my VM It seems like my 8700k was the slowdown for premiere and loss of frames during streaming/recording on OBS.

I'd decided today to do the research into overclocking, got the values entered, they looked good on the bios stating 4.8ghz instead of the 3.7ghz stock and was quite surprised when i turned everything on and it was set to stock, i noticed a unraid message saying:

Aug 2 21:23:21 Tower kernel: tsc: Detected 3700.000 MHz processor

Aug 2 21:23:21 Tower kernel: tsc: Detected 3699.850 MHz TSC

went back into the bios, 4.8ghz, went back into unraid/VM 3.7ghz, then I did a lot of reading of people recommending not overclocking whilst using unraid, not even XMP (without knowing i'd had this on for 33 days so far)

If I did want to try out overclocking before shelling out for a new MB/Processor, is there a safety I need to disable before unraid will allow me to overclock, or did perhaps something else go wrong that caused me to be at stock Ghz?

Besides the money for a new MB/Processor I just brought the maximum amount of DDR4 ram THIS system could take it would be a shame to move onto another platform.

I have never heard of anything in Unraid which would indicate that it 'plays' with BIOS settings.

I suspect some other problem.  Has the MB battery reached its end-of-life?  Did you remember to actually save those BIOS changes?  (I don't play with BIOS often but I seem to recall that some of them do display multiple screens where you have to confirm updates.)

Overclocking decreases stability of any server.   Most of us want to avoid instability at any cost.  If you do your research and don't push the individual hardware items that you actually have in your server beyond their capability, you might be able to get some improvement in performance.  

But you are not going to get much help here in getting things working properly. 

Oh sure I get that i'm on my own if i try it, I just wonderered if Unraid turns anything back off after it starts to load. I really did change the settings and double checked and made sure they were loaded, I can even enter the bios and see they are all set, but once i get into unraid everything seems to be back at stock.

I've actually ended up breaking my entire network today with the introduction of my network cards, i can't even access unraid properly from the other PC anymore and managed to wreck everything. Trying to get some live help via the unraid discord networking section because I think i'll need to be walked through a lot in real time, but i don't think anyone is about at the moment.

So it's possible that as the bios was still showing 4.8ghz through multiple restarts that it really was running at 4.8 on the VM's and such? I wonder what the best way to test real cpu speed is. I'll take a look around on the internet.

Seems like CPU-Z might show real speed rather than just reading out loud what's displayed in the windows panel. I'll try to find the time to turn the overclock settings back on and run CPU-Z. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with unraid not turning off anything.

I hope CPU-Z can still read a Virtual Machine setup

Edited by Terrace