Upgrading from 6.8.3 to 6.12.3

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all,

I haven't touched my Unraid server since i installed it 3 years ago (1100 days uptime) and it's been rock solid, however I'm planning to do some minor hardware upgrades and thought i might aswell upgrade the OS since it's down.

Is it allright to go from 6.8.3 straight to 6.12.3 or is it advised to upgrade in increments?

Also, is it good practice to change the usb drive to a new one since the old one has been running for 3 years straight and might be on it's last leg (backup old, restore to new)?

• Solution
2 hours ago, Fifthy said:

Is it allright to go from 6.8.3 straight to 6.12.3 or is it advised to upgrade in increments?

Should be, but good idea to read the release notes for the major releases, v6.9.0, v6.10.0, etc.

2 hours ago, Fifthy said:

Also, is it good practice to change the usb drive to a new one since the old one has been running for 3 years straight and might be on it's last leg (backup old, restore to new)?

Don't think that's necessary, some of my flash drives are over 15 years old by now, just make a backup before upgrading.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Should be, but good idea to read the release notes for the major releases, v6.9.0, v6.10.0, etc.

Don't think that's necessary, some of my flash drives are over 15 years old by now, just make a backup before upgrading.

I've spent all morning reading the changelog from 6.8 onwards :) 

How about plugins? I noticed that in 6.11.3 plugin compatibility was introduced together with the update assistant. Should i upgrade all the plugins before upgrading the OS?

40 minutes ago, Fifthy said:

Should i upgrade all the plugins before upgrading the OS?

Just in case even after the upgrade to latest some plugins are incompatible with 6.12 I would suggest you do your first boot after the Unraid upgrade in Safe Mode to eliminate any plugin issues.   If that works fine then see if you can boot in normal mode.

• Like 1