SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-O

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have now recieved my 4'th 4GB stick, but I cant't boot the board with anything higher than 8GB. I have cross-swapped the modules and banks, and all the modules are working in <= 8GB configuration.

I have tried removing disks and my M1015 card from the MoBo, and also tried BIOS reset.

Have anyone else seen similar issues or have any suggestions to how to make it work?  ???

Sorry for not detailing - I forgot that the information is only in my build thread http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15871.0

It's Kingston 4GB 240-Pin SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9. Purchased in a kit of 3 and subsequent one (the 2 piece kits are currently unavailable here). I can boot with any combination of 2 sticks (so none of the sticks are malfunctioning). And I did succeed in booting with 12GB until I put in the E3-1230 /see other thread). I'm really at a dead end in what to try... ???

that is the correct memory. While i have never used a 3 stick kit, i have used 2 stick and single stick packs. there should be no difference though.

I would try resetting the bios. by the fact it changed after installing a factory recommended CPU and it  started the issue, i would suspect the motherboard has an issue.

especially since it is already a refurbished board.

It's Kingston 4GB 240-Pin SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9.

Take one known working module and test each memory slot in the board individually. This will let you know if one of the slots is faulty. Use memtest86+ to test each slot.

Johnm: I have reset the bios several times. I have also tried disabling  "everything" in the BIOS and forcing the memory speed down.

gtaylor: I can in fact not boot the board if RAM is located in either of the slots in bank A. That does sound like a board issue to me  :'(

gtaylor: I can in fact not boot the board if RAM is located in either of the slots in bank A. That does sound like a board issue to me  :'(

I would now try filling Bank A with two modules to ensure that its not just having an issue due to only having one module installed.

I assume when you did your initial testing you filled Bank B first, then Bank A?

If I wasn't in the middle of a huge file copy I'd power down my server and see what happens with only one module.

A faulty board does seems pretty likely. Maybe that's why it was refurbished? I suspect most people will (initially) only use 2 memory slots so a faulty slot/bank can be overlooked.

Thank you for your input on this.

I would now try filling Bank A with two modules to ensure that its not just having an issue due to only having one module installed.

I assume when you did your initial testing you filled Bank B first, then Bank A?

I already tried with both one and two modules in Bank A, blue (Bank 2 A/B)  populated, black (Bank 1 A/B) populated. Bank B + one in ether or both Bank A. Essentially, all mathematical combinations. If just one of the slots in Bank A is populated, the board never gets to BIOS. I still can control it through the IPMI though.

During initial testing, I had the board populated from the edge inwards, which is as per your assumption Bank B, then Bank A. It still worked with one module in Bank A until i swapped in the E3-1230, which is when this was apparently triggered. I have swapped back since to E3-1260, but problem remains. Only RAM in Bank B is allowing the board to boot.

I have also tested with no RAM, and I do get the correct beep sequence for missing RAM. I do not get that when sticks are in A...

gtaylor: It is actually a new one (purchased by the previous owner in May) that just was sent to Supermicro because there was problems with BIOS update at the time (according to previous owner as per his accounts of the events I got today - syncs up nicely with the RMA report). He claims he had the board running with full banks, and has no real motive to lie about that. But the board is probably still just marginal, and the stress of what it has been thoriugh ended up being too much. Belly up - new board (poor assembly quality to blame).

Johnm: Battery out several(!) times (good thing that the clip is suitably designed to allow for that without triggering a stress breakage). I have even hard reset CMOS settings by shorting the JBT1...

An RMA process was initiated today. I think there is nothing more we can do. I'm trying to convince them to let me keep my board so I can keep on working with it in 8GB configuration while they send me a replacement. I have time set aside for this work now, and kind of a deadline to finish as well.

I'll let you know how it all ends up. Thanks for your help so far.  :)

Talked to a very helpful service engineer at Supermicro NL, and my problem is solved  ;D

SM had two different possibilities that could lead to the problem.

a) There was a very similar problem identified with another processor. Problem was addressed by the BIOS version 1.1A

b) As the memory controller is on the CPU, a bent contact could be the issue

After close inspection, one of the processor contacts was actually slightly bent. I could bend it back again, and the board now boots fine with all memory banks populated, and also faster due to the new BIOS version, which doesn't dwell so long with the BIOS status screen.  :D

• 1 month later...

Wanted to add this to this thread too;

I received word from Supermicro hardware designer that the recommended power limit for PCIe cards and fan headers is 5A@12V ~60W.

With cards like the M1015 running 9-10W this is not a problem, unless really high watt fans are used.