SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-O

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Johnm, have you tried any machine with *THREE* SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 controllers installed? My machine, in my old case, ran great when I only had 2 controllers...As I think about it, my problems seemed to start when I added the third controller. Please go back to my other thread for more information.

I just purchased a SuperMicro X9SCM-F and three AOC-SASLP-MV8 controllers.  I installed all three of them into the 3 PCI-express slots closest to the processor.  They all seem to be working great.  This is a brand new build so I haven't really stressed them yet, but I was able to configure them and drives attached to any of them appear as a option in the unRAID devices page. 

One thing to note: I did encounter some weirdness when initially configuring the cards.  I installed all 3 cards before my first boot.  Upon entering the config page for the controller cards (ctrl-M during boot) only two of the cards were available for configuration.  I shut everything down, and removed all three cards, and started over with one card at a time.  I then boot the machine with a single card, configured the card (i.e. disabled INT13) and then shut down the machine.  I did that for each of the three cards.  After disabling INT13 on each of the cards individually, I reinstalled all three cards, booted into BIOS and disabled OPROM for each of the PCI-express slots in which the cards were installed.  Finally, I was able to reboot one last time and tada ... unRAID was using all three cards  :D

Now, my only issue is getting some new backplanes from Norco so I can really test out the three cards.  Oh, and figuring out how to adequately cool drives in a Norco 4224.

Nice

Yes the issue with configuring 1 card at a time is an issue you would have with any motherboard.

You will want to move the cards if you ever get an 8x pcie card.

The 2 slots closest to the CPU are 8x the other 2 are 4x. The mv8's are4x cards. If your not going to add any 8x cards. I'd leave them as is personally.  Maybe I might leave a empty slot in the middle for cooling. The mv8's might get a little warm under full load.

Also. For best performance, split the load evenly between controllers. Idk if you got a reverse breakout cable or not. If so, I'd put parity and 3 drives on mobo.

You might want to look at my Goliath build for cooling ideas.  Also look at atlas for bios settings and Ipmi settings for this board.  I need to update my posts. Atlas has 4 hba/raid cards in it right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hurrah, all my parts finally turned up. Should have a working unRAID server in the next 24 hours. I'm planning to run unRAID using the onboard SATA for the first month.

Intel Core i3 2100T CPU

Supermicro X9XCM-O-F Mainboard

Kingston ValueRam 8GB DDR3-1333 ECC Kit (KVR1333E3E9SK2/8G)

Norco 4224 24 hot-swap SAS/SATA Rackmount Server Case

3 x Hitachi 5k3000 3TB SATA Hard Disk Drives

Plus accessories (Noctua Fans, SAS/SATA Cables etc)

I'm planning to add 3 x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (or possible AOC-SAS2LP-MV8) cards once the problems with the drivers in the current beta have been worked out (or look at different cards if the problems can't be resolved).

I've run into a problem. The X9SCM board I've bought seems to have a passive heatsink backplate (BKT-0028L) mounted on the back. With the backplate installed I can't install the CPU Heatsink that came with the Intel Core i3 2100T. I'm not sure how to remove the backplate without damaging the board.

I've run into a problem. The X9SCM board I've bought seems to have a passive heatsink backplate (BKT-0028L) mounted on the back. With the backplate installed I can't install the CPU Heatsink that came with the Intel Core i3 2100T. I'm not sure how to remove the backplate without damaging the board.

You don't, you go buy a cheap heatsink from a place like microcenter or frys.

You don't, you go buy a cheap heatsink from a place like microcenter or frys.

Well that's a bugger. I'm in regional Australia so I can't just pop down to a Fry's or Microcenter.

If I can't remove the passive backplate what is a suitable replacement heatsink/fan? I'd prefer something as close to the Intel OEM Heatsink/Fan as possible.

Why not purchase one of the Supermicro cooling solutions... passive or active.

The active solution uses the Push-in Pin mounting method which I can't use as the Backplate prevents that. The passive cooling solution relies on the case fans to pass air through the heatsink. I'm not sure I can rely on the case fans I am using to move enough air across the heatsink to ensure that the CPU is properly cooled.

Did you get an OEM Version or a server pull motherboard?

It wasn't a retail board (none are available in Australia) I purchased it via eBay (Link). The board itself appears to be brand new, but it was not in retail packaging. I wasn't expecting it to be in retail packaging as I assumed it would be a bulk-pack board broken down for individual sale. The description however does not indicate that the board comes with the passive backplate installed.

I've now received a response from Supermicro technical support (who were very quick to respond BTW) and according to them the backplate is stuck on with tape. They advised that removing the backplate risks damaging the board. Clearly I don't want to risk damaging the board so I would prefer a solution that leaves the backplate on the board. If I can purchase a heatsink/fan combo that is compatible with the BKT-0028L back plate then I'll be happy. I can't order anything now until next week so I've got a few days to work out a solution. I am hoping that the backplate will be compatible with other makes/models of LGA1155/1156 heatsinks that are available.

I ended up buying something like this when I needed one for a supermicro board.  I had sent a board back because of a faulty IPMI port.  The board I got back had a backplate on it.  I asked them about removing it and they advised against it.  It was easier in the long run to just by the sub $10 screw in CPU cooler than mess with removing the backplate.

I ended up buying something like this when I needed one for a supermicro board.

Thanks that looks good. Unfortunately that model is unavailable in Australia. I can purchase it from the US via eBay but it would probably take 2-3 weeks to get here.

it should be easy to overcome.

It looks like the Supermicro Passive Backplate fits a standard M3 threaded screw so I think this means I'll be able to use any standard LGA1155/1156 Heatsink/Fan solution that comes with a screw mounting.

I'm looking through the Australian online stores looking for something suitable. Unfortunately most of the heatsinks available are huge expensive models aimed at the overclocking market. The closest I've found so far is the Coolermaster Hyper TX3. My concern with vertically mounted heatsinks is whether they will fit within the case. The TX3 heatsink is 136mm high which should just fit (I hope).

edit: Looks like the TX3 only comes with a push-pin mounting after all. Damn.

I guess i am the kind of idiot that would try and peal off the mounting plate.. LOL

That might explain why upper management stopped questioning "how i got that production server back online in under 30 Min:" at work.

they didn't like my MacGyver'ing a server back online when there is a major outage with just "a stick of gum, a toothpick, a shoelace and some vodka." answer...

Especially when I tell them to "red label me parts before the toothpick overheats and catches fire igniting the shoelace like a fuse to the the vodka and burning down the data center sometime tomorrow"  ::)

I guess i am the kind of idiot that would try and peal off the mounting plate.. LOL

I did consider that, but the thought of damaging a part that cost me AU$238.00 puts me off that idea. I still haven't found a heatsink/fan that meets my requirements.

I'm now considering whether to use the Supermicro passive heatsink. I'm using a Norco 4224 with a 3 x Noctua 120mm fans mounted on the fanwall. I was planning to remove the two 80mm rear stock fans (though I may replace them with 80mm Noctua fans at some point). The CPU is the 35W Intel Core i3 2100T. Note that during summer the ambient indoor temperature can be up to 35C (95F), though usually it doesn't go above 30C (85F). The server will be running 24/7 most of the year (ambient temperatures of around 20C), however I will turn it off during the hottest days over summer.

the supermicro passive heat sinks that I am familiar with are for supermicro chassis that have "ducting" or only 1u so that fan wall and or rear fan suck air directly over the heat sink. While it is "passive", it is actually "actively" cooled from another source.

Speaking of Noctua, I am pretty sure their CPU coolers are screw-down.

Don't forget the LGA1155/1156/1366/775 and AM2/2+/3/3+ are all the same mounting size when it comes to screw-down CPU coolers. most are interchangeable if you have the correct backplate.

the supermicro passive heat sinks that I am familiar with are for supermicro chassis that have "ducting" or only 1u so that fan wall and or rear fan suck air directly over the heat sink. While it is "passive", it is actually "actively" cooled from another source.

That's what I've seen as well. I'm not about to install ducting into my case and I suspect that the fans I've installed may not move enough air across the heatsink to be effective.

Speaking of Noctua, I am pretty sure their CPU coolers are screw-down.

The Noctuas appear to use some sort of proprietary mount that doesn't seem to be compatible with boards with backplates. They have a note on their website mentioning this for LGA1366 boards but I suspect that it would also be the case for LGA1155/1156 boards with backplates.

Don't forget the LGA1155/1156/1366/775 and AM2/2+/3/3+ are all the same mounting size when it comes to screw-down CPU coolers. most are interchangeable if you have the correct backplate.

I've ordered a Coolermaster Vortex Plus. It supposedly comes with a universal mount. I hope it fits.

Success!!! Received the Coolermaster Vortex Plus today. I was able to install the heatsink with the aid of some M3 screws I had on hand. The server has been running for a few hours now, I'm preclearing 3 Hitachi 5k3000 3TB drives overnight tonight. Room temperature is 26C, System temperature is 31C, CPU temperature is low, hard disk temperatures are 37-38C.

I got the X9SCM-F. It has been sent to SuperMicro by the previous owner and returned form the NL European factory validated to work with the current BIOS/Firmware. And so far it does work.

I have on it an AMI BIOS 10624 and a SuperMicro BIOS ver 1.0c. Both are form 2011-06-30.

What BIOS & firmware are you guys running on the board with?

I can see that there are newer versions on the website, but there is no changelog, which I find really weird (quite frankly: seriously dissapointing  >:( )for a product that is presumeably professional.

Does anyone know if it's worth the upgrade, and what is contained?

BIOS boot screen attached (gotta love IPMI  8) )

bios-version.jpg.8cde4f4b98e44336ed4b64c35797e5c0.jpg