SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-O

Need help from those familar with supermicro's nameing nomenclature.

I am getting ready to buy a SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-O from new egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182254

I cannot find documentation for X9SCM-O on the supermicro website.

When i search for X9SCM I only get two models:

X9SCM

X9SCM-F

The manual lists:

X9SCM

X9SCM-F

X9SCL

X9SCL-F

X9SCL+-F

Whats up with the naming convention or is this an older board or something.....

Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the x9scl, the + is a new nic card from the original model. They got rid of the lm nic.

As mentioned above. The -o means it comes in a box with cables (4 sata i believe) , back plate, driver CD and a manual.

Also, I would look into the -f ipmi feature. Once you have one,  it is hard to get another server without ipmi.

I should mention this is a solid board And works out of the box with most current server os's including unraid

Do be careful of what ram you buy.

Also pick a good quality power supply.

It looks like the corsir cx650 wont work yet the tx series is fine.

Johnm, I noticed that you are using the SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O. I have a 20 disk (plus parity) system right now using a Supermicro X8SIL, but since the hurricane the onboard NICs have gone flaky on me (and they never ran all that well in the first place).

So what I am looking for now is a motherboard to replace the X8SIL. How well are the 2 onboard Intel chipset LAN connectors working for you? The Realtek chipset LANs in the X8SIL pretty much suck. And being a real novice, I have no idea what IPMI is...What does it bring to the table and why would I want it?

Do you think this is the best option for reliable unRAID operation for someone like me who is using 3 of the same Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards that you are using, or do think that an Intel board would be better?

On the subject of power supplies.

I was going to use an older Corsair VX550W power supply.

Supports the latest ATX12V v2.2 standard and is backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01 systems

DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5VSB

Max Load 30A   28A   41A 0.8A   3A

Is there any reason this will not work?

I could not find any individual current requirments in the manual other than "1.5A for ethernet"

Which I assume is off of +5 standby.

Thanks

Johnm, I noticed that you are using the SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O. I have a 20 disk (plus parity) system right now using a Supermicro X8SIL, but since the hurricane the onboard NICs have gone flaky on me (and they never ran all that well in the first place).

So what I am looking for now is a motherboard to replace the X8SIL. How well are the 2 onboard Intel chipset LAN connectors working for you? The Realtek chipset LANs in the X8SIL pretty much suck. And being a real novice, I have no idea what IPMI is...What does it bring to the table and why would I want it?

Do you think this is the best option for reliable unRAID operation for someone like me who is using 3 of the same Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards that you are using, or do think that an Intel board would be better?

The X8SIL and the X9SCM/SCL both use the same Intel 82574L NIC. that NIC is pretty much industry standard and used for server NIC's. I find them rock solid and stable.

if you have realtek nic, something is wrong.

I would buy a cheap Intel CT PCI NIC and toss that on your X8SIL and see if that solves your issues. Personally,  a $15 fix is much more attractive then $350 (new CPU/MOBO) for almost the same hardware.

I would also try loading Win2k8 or win7 on that box using a spare drive and see if the issue exists outside of unraid.

IPMI is KVM over IP. basically a remote desktop at hardware level. you can even watch you PC post or edit the bios remotely from any PC with a web browser and java installed. you can also check hardware health/temps and power on/off/reboot the pc. You can even install the OS from a CD or ISO on your Client PC using the virtual drive mounting (not useful for unraid).

Most of my supermicro servers have never had a monitor plugged into them.

If you don't have it, you wont miss it. if you have several servers with the feature, it is hard to live without. especially if they are not physically close to you.

On the subject of power supplies.

I was going to use an older Corsair VX550W power supply.

Supports the latest ATX12V v2.2 standard and is backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01 systems

DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5VSB

Max Load 30A  28A  41A 0.8A  3A

Is there any reason this will not work?

I could not find any individual current requirments in the manual other than "1.5A for ethernet"

Which I assume is off of +5 standby.

Thanks

See

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14872.0

The best i can tell with the CX series, it is an entry level PSU for desktops. it is a ATX12V and not a EPS12V PSU. I was not aware that Corsair had gone back to non EPS12V PSUs. Most of their PSU's are dual listed as ATX12V/EPS12V.  I guess to cut costs, this is one feature many people don't need.

EPS12V is a special, non-ATX standard adopted by the Server System Infrastructure (SSI) group to provide a more powerful and stable environment for critical server-based systems and applications. SSI is listed as a requirement in the supermicro manual.

This is also a known requirement with the Tyan/Asus serverboards also.

As far as that VX550 v2.2, it looks like it is EPS12V... but I can't be 100% sure.

You should check your manual or corsair's site.

The X8SIL and the X9SCM/SCL both use the same Intel 82574L NIC. that NIC is pretty much industry standard and used for server NIC's. I find them rock solid and stable.

Ah, yes, you are correct...:)  I read the manual wrong. But that NIC has been anything but rock solid and stable since day one, and now it is down right totally flaky. See my thread here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15006.0

I would buy a cheap Intel CT PCI NIC and toss that on your X8SIL and see if that solves your issues. Personally,  a $15 fix is much more attractive then $350 (new CPU/MOBO) for almost the same hardware.

I have one coming in on Tuesday (hopefully). That was my plan...to try replacing the NIC first. The "plan B" of buying a new mobo is only if the new NIC doesn't solve my problems.

I would buy a cheap Intel CT PCI NIC and toss that on your X8SIL and see if that solves your issues. Personally,  a $15 fix is much more attractive then $350 (new CPU/MOBO) for almost the same hardware.

Great idea! I will try that out tomorrow since I have another day to wait until the new NIC arrives anyway.

IPMI is KVM over IP. basically a remote desktop at hardware level. you can even watch you PC post or edit the bios remotely from any PC with a web browser and java installed. you can also check hardware health/temps and power on/off/reboot the pc. You can even install the OS from a CD or ISO on your Client PC using the virtual drive mounting (not useful for unraid).

Most of my supermicro servers have never had a monitor plugged into them.

If you don't have it, you wont miss it. if you have several servers with the feature, it is hard to live without. especially if they are not physically close to you.

Thanks for the info!

Ah, yes, you are correct...:)  I read the manual wrong. But that NIC has been anything but rock solid and stable since day one, and now it is down right totally flaky. See my thread here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15006.0

...check to disable ASPM for the PCIe and NICs in the BIOS.

See here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7577.msg106505#msg106505

Thanks, FP! I checked, and I already had ASPM turned off, so that isn't a problem. I am hoping a new NIC will solve the problem, but being the pessimist that I am, I think that a new mobo will eventually be the answer. The question is "Is the newer X9SCM a better board than my old X8SIL?" Or would I be better off trying a different company, like Intel?

I am extremely happy with the the X9SCM. I have 3 and we just put in 30 of them at work in SM chassis.

my only issue the lack of drivers for the second NIC in ESX.

The + (plus) model fixes that issue but it is totally minor. Drivers can fix it also.

There is a Tyan board that is almost the same that looks pretty nice on paper.

I have not looked at the intel line up..

Johnm, have you tried any machine with *THREE* SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 controllers installed? My machine, in my old case, ran great when I only had 2 controllers...As I think about it, my problems seemed to start when I added the third controller. Please go back to my other thread for more information.

Johnm, have you tried any machine with *THREE* SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 controllers installed? My machine, in my old case, ran great when I only had 2 controllers...As I think about it, my problems seemed to start when I added the third controller. Please go back to my other thread for more information.

actually.. no I have 3 MV8's for Goliath my plan was to run 3 to get all 24 bays to work. I ended up with bastard setups of mixed MV8's and M1015's. those seem to be fine.

I would assume you need to possibly turn off option roms and definitely turn off int13 on all the cards.

Quite possibly make some bios setting to the PCIe slots like [set PCI ROM Priority to "EFI Compatible ROM"]

I ran into that to get 3 cards to run in ESXi.

I would assume you need to possibly turn off option roms and definitely turn off int13 on all the cards.

Quite possibly make some bios setting to the PCIe slots like [set PCI ROM Priority to "EFI Compatible ROM"]

I ran into that to get 3 cards to run in ESXi.

I will check to make sure of the settings you mentioned. I had discovered right when I set up the server that I had to turn all 3 PCIe option ROMs to off or the system would hang when booting. I didn't know about turning of int13 or setting PCI ROM Priority to EFI Compatible ROM...I will check that next Thanks tons!

I am extremely happy with the the X9SCM. I have 3 and we just put in 30 of them at work in SM chassis.

my only issue the lack of drivers for the second NIC in ESX.

The + (plus) model fixes that issue but it is totally minor. Drivers can fix it also.

There is a Tyan board that is almost the same that looks pretty nice on paper.

I have not looked at the intel line up..

can you share that Tyan board specs with us ...

Supermicros are hard to get in Thailand

but i have a local Tyan distributor...

thx in advance

Oddwun, I'm planning to purchase an X9SCM-F-O and 3 AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards for my Norco 4224 build. I'm interested to know whether you are able to get this configuration working with your board.

I am currently using a Norco 4224 case with an X8SIL board, not the X9SCM. I have all 3 controllers working with this board, but I have an extremely peculiar problem where disk20 constantly encounters write fails after about 30 to 40 gb and then unRAID marks the disk as "read only" until I reboot. Until I figure out and solve this problem, I will not be buying a new motherboard.

I would recommend checking very carefully with anyone using the combo you want use to insure that they can read and write to all 20 (or 24) disks without issues.

I'm running the X9SCM's,

I have 2x SASLP-MV8's and 1x M1015  on one, 

2x M1015's and 1x SASLP-MV8 on another. (it also had an ARC-1222 for a fourth card for a bit)

1x ARC-1880i card on the third one for now.

so while i have not put 3x MV8's on one board yet, I have put up to 4 miss-matched cards on a single board and it appeared to work.

Good stuff, just make sure your PSU is EPS12V.

I've got a Seasonic X-650 sitting around that I'm planning to use. I think it comes with 2 x 12V EPS connectors. If that doesn't work or doesn't supply enough power for 24 drives then I'll look at something else. I did consider getting an 800W Dual Redundant power supply but I think thats overkill (and overpriced) for a home server.

I'm planning to use 4 of the onboard SATA connectors for the first month or two while I test the unRAID setup. If I don't use all the onboard SATA connectors does that count if I submit the SYSLOG for Level 1 and Level 2 compatibility testing? I've only bought one reverse breakout cable for the onboard SATA so it won't be possible to test all six ports. I could test 2+2 (ie 2 SATA2 + 2 SATA3) so that both controllers are tested.