unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta12a Available

limetech

took the plunge and upgraded to v5 b12a (as I may need to add my LSI controller so went to this version).

I believe I just ran into a bug.  Everything works great, except for shares that are exported, but hidden.

I have one such share, and although i can access it as normal (by typing in the path in explorer), whenever I double click on a file to open it I get an error.

"The directory name is invalid."

edit: after a bit more testing it appears to happen only when there are special characters (like '-') in the name of the file :(

This never happened in 4.7.  I'm not posting a syslog as there is nothing showing in it when this error comes up.

Any ideas?

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, I did some searching and the Realtek 8168/8169 chipsets are definite problems.

Intel chipsets are supposed to be fine. However, my MB NIC uses the Intel 8254 chipset so I suspect that not all Intel chipsets work.

Can somebody give me a PCI (not PCI-e) NIC model number known to work with 5.0?

ron

I've got these in one of my test machines that seems to work fine: NTEL 8390MT 1000 MT Gigabit Desktop PCI Network Card

get them off eBay for $10'ish

EDIT: I double checked the chipset of those, and they are the 82541GI - what is the ending number on your 8254?

as I've not had any issues with this card...or perhaps your motherboard one is dead, cable issue, or switch issue?

Are you using the e1000 driver?

ron

Motherboard incompatibility with 5.0?

I have spent over two weeks and made a number of posts regarding network/NIC issues with a Dell Poweredge 400sc and unRAID 5.0. :P

Today I tried a PCI NIC (Intel PWLA 8390MT PRO/1000) without success.

In frustration I fiddled around in the BIOS and discovered that I could get a network connection by placing the CPU in compatible mode. I removed the NIC card and, indeed, the LOM (Intel 8254X) will also connect to the network with the CPU in compatible mode. I can get to the 5.0 GUI nicely. Of course the computer is agonizingly slow and this is not a tenable solution.

I am using the e1000 driver which is the appropriate driver for Intel NIC's with PCI.

The e1000 has a known bug with Linux 3.0 but that does not appear to be an issue in this case as other users (see earlier posts) are using this driver and this PCI card with Linux 3.0 and 3.1.

I am certainly no expert with either Linux or computers but am beginning to suspect that the 400sc may have an inherent incompatibility with unRAID 5.0. It's really too bad as the 400sc has an Intel MB, Intel LOM, will easily hold 7 drives, is quiet, and has fairly low power consumption. It ought to be an elegant second life for an old server.

I am attaching my syslogs if anyone still cares to look into this issue. But unless and until someone can tell me otherwise I am going to assume this is an incompatibility issue, keep the 400sc running unRAID 4.7, and start lurking on the UCD and Pimp my RAID boards as I build an unRAID 5.0 box from scratch.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier posts. :-*

syslog.txt

syslog_CPU_Compatible.txt

Yep, I did some searching and the Realtek 8168/8169 chipsets are definite problems.

Intel chipsets are supposed to be fine. However, my MB NIC uses the Intel 8254 chipset so I suspect that not all Intel chipsets work.

Can somebody give me a PCI (not PCI-e) NIC model number known to work with 5.0?

ron

I've got these in one of my test machines that seems to work fine: NTEL 8390MT 1000 MT Gigabit Desktop PCI Network Card

get them off eBay for $10'ish

EDIT: I double checked the chipset of those, and they are the 82541GI - what is the ending number on your 8254?

as I've not had any issues with this card...or perhaps your motherboard one is dead, cable issue, or switch issue?

Are you using the e1000 driver?

ron

e1000 is what shows in an 'lsmod' list, so I assume so.

Both my Authentic Intel Pro/100 GT (8391GT or on the chip 82541P1) and my $10 ebay knock off card Intel Pro/1000MT that is apparently an 8390 work just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything was fine this morning, now when I try to move files from one folder to another, windows 7 says i dont have permission to do this. I've re-done the share settings, restarted samba, and re did the windows 7 network drive mapping with the correct user login info and still the same result. Syslog attached..

EDIT: ran newperms on disk4 and its letting me write to it now, although moving the files is pretty slow, even going from user share to user share via the console.

syslog-2012-03-23.txt

• 4 months later...

hello I would like to know how long does the unraid server run in maintenance mode.

and what is going on while it's in maintenance mode

It will "run" forever in maintenance mode, until you reboot and take it out of maintenance mode.

In maintenance mode the disks are not mounted, so you may run reiserfsck file system checks on the disks without having to first un-mount the disks.

Basically, nothing much runs when in maintenance mode, but the server is in a mode where YOU can perform file-system checks.