System File Check?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hey guys!

I just had an interesting situation crop up.  I started having some issues with accessing my shares over the network, and issues with my dockers not working right.  Everything was up-to-date and had been working fine (no changes in settings and/or hardware).  But, I was having these issues.  So I decided to do a reboot.  Well, that caused an issue.  I waited about 5 minutes for my server to shutdown and restart but the screen never reloaded.  So I connected a monitor and looked at the "live log".  It showed it experienced a fatal crash in something.  I wish I grabbed a photo of it, but I was negligent and just did a forced poweroff with the button.  Upon rebooting, one of the last lines I saw in the "live log" before the login prompt was an error about not finding the Mover binary.  Very strange.

This has got me thinking... Is there a way to do a system file integrity check?  Kinda like the Windows command line [sfc /scannow] that does a system file check and replaced corrupted files.  I would be curious to know if maybe my flash drive is going bad and causing some bit corruption somewhere and my system is becoming unstable.

Seeing as how this is the first forced reboot in MONTHS, I'm going ahead and letting it do the array's parity check.  Better safe than sorry.  But yea, in response to my question.. does Unraid offer such a thing?  

Edited by hansolo77
6 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

This has got me thinking... Is there a way to do a system file integrity check?  Kinda like the Windows command line [sfc /scannow] that does a system file check and replaced corrupted files.  I would be curious to know if maybe my flash drive is going bad and causing some bit corruption somewhere and my system is becoming unstable.

Unraid does not 'install' itself in the traditional sense  as it runs from RAM.

As was mentioned the main Unraid system files are loaded into RAM each time you boot and the archives on the flash drive they are loaded from are automatically checked for integrity.

The other thing that can load binaries is plugins, but you can select to boot in Safe Mode that suppresses installing plugins if you think that one of them could have been corrupted.   Most plugins would have any files they would install provided as a .tgz file that again provided a integrity check on those files, but it is always possible a plugin installs a binary that is not corrupted, but it incompatible with the current Unraid release which was the reason that Safe Mode was introduced.

Ahh, that makes sense.  Thanks for the response.  It's good to know that if something is corrupted, Unraid just won't load.  I know I actively keep backups of the OS on the website, so if anything ever DOES happen, I can always restore.  Now I'm just bugged about that message with the Mover missing, and I wish I knew what caused the panic crash when I was rebooting.  Oh well, guess I'll just have to be more diligent and remember to take a screenshot next time I see it.  Thanks again!