Locally Acessible, but can't ping 1.1.1.1/8.8.8.8 or update plugins

Hi, recently moved and trying to the get my server setup in the new place. New ISP and router. I am able to access the server's WebGUI no problem at the local IP, but it seemingly isn't able to connect to the internet as I can't ping any external IPs and the plugin update check comes back with an error:

Checking connectivity ...
No response, aborting!

I've tried having the server with a static IP both through Unraid and from the router as well as trying it with DHCP instead and fully factory resetting the new router but still the same issue occurs. Can connect to the internet fine from other devices on the network and it was working no problem before moving from my old place. Not sure what else to try so I wanted to post my diagnostics here and see if anyone had some ideas. Thanks

tesseract-diagnostics-20230820-1739.zip

Edited by acherubino

From the    /config.network.cfg  file:

USE_DHCP[0]="no"
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.6"
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY[0]="192.168.1.1"
DNS_SERVER1="8.8.8.8"
DNS_SERVER2="1.1.1.1"

You have a static IP address assigned.  If your router from your ISP provider is not using the 192.168.1.X address range, your server will be blocked from the Internet. 

What I would do, is:

(1) shut the server down,

(2) pull the boot drive and put it in your PC,

(3) rename the network,cfg and network-rules.cfg files in the  /config   folder/directory

(4) put the drive back in the server and restart the server.  

It will then use the DHCP service on your router to obtain a valid IP address.  You can work from there to set things up as you require them to be. 

Thank you both for your suggestions, unfortunately it looks like the problem is still occurring.

8 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Try changing your DNS server to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 instead of using your router.  Settings - Network Settings, also make sure the LAN is as simplified as possible for testing, server connected directly to router, no firewall.

Tried these as well as a few other DNS servers to no avail. I currently have the server hooked up to the router as direct as possible (using the Ethernet drop to get from one room to another but this same Ethernet works fine with other devices so I don't think that's the issue).

7 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

You have a static IP address assigned.  If your router from your ISP provider is not using the 192.168.1.X address range, your server will be blocked from the Internet. 

What I would do, is:

(1) shut the server down,

(2) pull the boot drive and put it in your PC,

(3) rename the network,cfg and network-rules.cfg files in the  /config   folder/directory

(4) put the drive back in the server and restart the server.  

It will then use the DHCP service on your router to obtain a valid IP address.  You can work from there to set things up as you require them to be. 

The router, by default has a 192.168.99.X IP range for its DHCP server, but I had manually changed it to be 192.168.1.X to match what I had before. The devices that work are able to get IPs in this new range no problem as well as the server when using DHCP, so I think that part of it is working fine. Also I did try factory resetting the router in case that was the issue and even when getting a 192.168.99.X IP the server still was having the issue.

I did the steps listed above (I forgot to mention in the original post that I had already tried forcing it to recreate the network.cfg, but not the network-rules.cfg) and unfortunately the problem is still the same after restarting. I have the specific .6 IP reserved for the server in the router settings so with DHCP it got the same IP automatically. I also tired taking this rule out and letting it get a new IP assigned, still no internet. I've included updated diagnostics from after doing the above.

I'm at a bit of a loss, considering looking into alternate ISPs that would allow me to use my own router that was working at my last place.

tesseract-diagnostics-20230821-1249.zip

Edited by acherubino
50 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It still looks to me like a DNS problem with the router.

That's what I was initially thinking as well, but I was under the impression that if it was just DNS that was the issue I should still be able to ping external IPs directly.

I just went into the router settings and tried changing the DNS servers used there to the ones you posted before as well as some other standard options but no change unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

Super late update but I wanted to post what ended up fixing the issue. It was my ISP, Starry, causing the issues. IDK why but it seems like for whatever reason none of the macOS or Linux-based systems on my network were able to connect over Ethernet. Everything Windows worked fine and WiFi was good on everything, but obviously that isn't gonna work for a server. I didn't know what the root cause was at the time but I was having other issues with the Starry provided router and was unable to get my own router working with them despite them saying it was supported. So due to that I switched back to Xfinity and everything started to work again right away, so it definitely was either something with their router or network that was the issue. Talking with support they did say that hosting a webserver is not allowed in their TOS so its possible it was being purposefully blocked, but I was having connectivity issues on a bunch of other devices as well. Unfortunately Xfinity's upload speed is pretty dogshit, but much better that not being able to use my server at all lol.

Anyways TLDR, DON'T use Starry for internet.

Edited by acherubino
  • Thanks 1