For real?

Im thinking of building a new server and was looking at what cpu and mb i should get. Found there is a lot of stuff on ebay that could work also.

Found one of many that seems to sell used cpu and mb that are still very good. Like https://www.ebay.com/itm/175307460477?amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkLA2eLAhX2BxQ7h73sfO%2BTKpLYKKoy29w4sHMp0UzDULTITBks35ZJROQ%2Fx7KoDDqruosLPGGcdeXu45kEBGeqzkWCvcd9mhCkiiSgmy6qxTwIXzC9kt6IJaQHKabD0kuf5N71wKur7dIZDGDiy%2BO6CUsOqk2HTtD56h0QQQz%2Bisb4wNw2U9rWWpPgSbnoB2IA%3D%3D&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5338940695&customid=&toolid=20012&mkevt=1 

Anyone have experience buying one of these? seems to be a great price

5 minutes ago, orlando500 said:

Anyone have experience buying one of these? seems to be a great price

I don't have one but I know that some Supermicro boards have device restrictions in place so to speak maybe a Nvidia card will work but not an AMD card and vice versa, same of course applies to HBAs and other add in cards (I see that you have a Mellanox card, maybe that won't work if this board has also device restrictions into place) <- this is just a heads up and may don't apply to this specific board.

My recommendation would be to go with something more recent and Intel based since they are known to work with VMs, Passthrough and so on, of course if you don't need that all then you can of course use AMD.

This combo may sound good but be aware that it won't be the best performer for single threaded tasks as far as I can tell from the listing.

I'm totally happy with my i5-10600 for example but maybe upgrade it maybe in a year or two with something recent. I also don't need that much horsepower for day to day use because I don't have VMs (except for compiling the plugin packages for Unraid and testing). If someday I don't have to compile the plugin pages on my system I would even go to something that has not that much horsepower.

The Intel iGPUs are even really capable of transcoding and make in most use cases a addon Nvidia card not necessary.

You can see my system here if you are interested (it's in German but Google translate will help if you are that much interested :D 😞

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I don't have one but I know that some Supermicro boards have device restrictions in place so to speak maybe a Nvidia card will work but not an AMD card and vice versa, same of course applies to HBAs and other add in cards (I see that you have a Mellanox card, maybe that won't work if this board has also device restrictions into place) <- this is just a heads up and may don't apply to this specific board.

My recommendation would be to go with something more recent and Intel based since they are known to work with VMs, Passthrough and so on, of course if you don't need that all then you can of course use AMD.

This combo may sound good but be aware that it won't be the best performer for single threaded tasks as far as I can tell from the listing.

I'm totally happy with my i5-10600 for example but maybe upgrade it maybe in a year or two with something recent. I also don't need that much horsepower for day to day use because I don't have VMs (except for compiling the plugin packages for Unraid and testing). If someday I don't have to compile the plugin pages on my system I would even go to something that has not that much horsepower.

The Intel iGPUs are even really capable of transcoding and make in most use cases a addon Nvidia card not necessary.

You can see my system here if you are interested (it's in German but Google translate will help if you are that much interested :D 😞

Thanks for the reply, i tend to go with intel. But was trying to see what i should get if i want more cores to do vms and more in the same server. Im migrating from tower servers to rack and therefore want to build some "new" servers also for the homelab with several vms. I will check out your system.

• Like 1