Unclean shutdown when power out. UPS beebs...

KingLB
Go to solution Solved by Mainfrezzer,

Hello

I've recently transferred from a Synology NAS to Unraid so I'm very new. Hopefully I'm missing something simple. I've plugged my CyberPower VP700EILCD into a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard of my Unraid server. It has been detected and shows there is plenty of power available. When I turn the power off at the wall, the server shuts off instantly and the UPS beeps... If I turn the server back on it restarts normally on battery power. Hopefully the image of the UPS settings  is more informative. I've tried the NUT plugin and played with things like battery level to initiate shutdown. All to no avail.

thanks

Screenshot 2023-09-05 191132.png

Screenshot 2023-09-05 193108.png

Any idea what would cause this? The UPS worked fine with my Synology. I've also seen posts of people use these units with unraid servers successful in other threads. The UPS is around two years old. Do UPSs age like dogs? Is it really 60 in UPS years? The only other thing I can think of is the value orientated EVGA PSU. 

It depends on the power supply, how sensitive they are to losing power.

You probably dont have a spare PSU around to test your server/ups with i assume?

You could look up the hold-up time for your psu and check how fast the switch time is of the ups.

Edit: All i can find for the ups is a "respond time of 4ms" which i doubt because i dont think that a psu from evga is that horrible in terms of hold-up time

Edited by Mainfrezzer
1 hour ago, Mainfrezzer said:

It depends on the power supply, how sensitive they are to losing power.

You probably dont have a spare PSU around to test your server/ups with i assume?

You could look up the hold-up time for your psu and check how fast the switch time is of the ups.

Edit: All i can find for the ups is a "respond time of 4ms" which i doubt because i dont think that a psu from evga is that horrible in terms of hold-up time

It might be a long shot but I'll cannibalize my computer for a PSU and have a go tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Please clarify, does the server instantly start and complete a safe shutdown while on battery, or does it lose power without going through any shutdown?

The server instantly looses power as soon as the power goes off at the wall. I can then power on the server manually and it starts on battery power. No safe shutdown takes place.

4 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Are you positive you are plugged in to the correct row of outlets? One row is battery + surge, one is surge only.

As far as I can tell, all 6 outlets are battery + surge. I'm assuming the server wouldn't be able to be manually started without mains power if it was plugged into a surge only outlet.

50 minutes ago, KingLB said:

As far as I can tell, all 6 outlets are battery + surge.

Yep, I looked up your specific model, and all outlets should stay live. Are you pulling the supply plug of the UPS, or switching off the outlet power? Reason I ask, is some battery backups don't behave well if they lose their earth connection. Try testing the UPS functionality alone, plug a medium load like a small heater or a powerful incandescent light, or something that draws about 200 watts or so, and turn off the power to the UPS and see if the load stays running. Bonus points if you have the server on a separate outlet that stays live with the USB signalling cable in place, that way you can see if the server starts an orderly shutdown when the UPS loses power.

My bet is that the battery in the UPS is completely dead, regardless of what the UPS thinks the status is.

• Solution
10 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

My bet is that the battery in the UPS is completely dead, regardless of what the UPS thinks the status is.

I wouldn't bet on that since

1 hour ago, KingLB said:

can then power on the server manually and it starts on battery power.

I'm certain it's due to the switch time, especially since the Synology worked fine. Either the ups specsheet is lying or the evga psu is not up to spec

Edited by Mainfrezzer
13 minutes ago, Mainfrezzer said:

I wouldn't bet on that since

I'm certain it's due to the switch time, especially since the Synology worked fine. Either the ups specsheet is lying or the evga psu is not up to spec

You are right, I missed that. Very strange symptoms. Either the description is off, or the equipment (UPS or PSU) is failing in some way.

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. It was the PSU that was the culprit. I swapped in a roughly 10 year old Corsair 80+ platinum unit and it worked fine. If anyone else has this problem, the unit in question was a 550W EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GA that I purchased new about a month ago. I'll be giving the retailer a call tomorrow to get my money back. You guys just saved me the price of a new UPS.