Network Questions

Badboy

Been losing the internet again, have a static ip set in Unraid. I noticed my ISP has started changing the public ip address every 3 or 4 days. I changed my cpu, it was showing debug codes that lead me to believe it was the cpu. Still dropping internet, lasted about 12 hours, only device doing it. Your public ip doesn't effect Unraid's static ip correct? I had this issue before, so I put every device on a reserved ip, solved the problem up until now.

The only difference this time is I can't use my power button at all to hard reset. Have to use the switch on the back. Have a Gigabyte x570s board. I have unreserved all ips, going to delete the network file and reset the settings, put Unraid on a higher ip. I still don't think it's normal the power button to totally quit, even if the internet goes out.  I thought it might be the board, I still have a feeling it's something to do with the network.  I do have a 10g Nic card I could stick in my 3rd PCIE slot, also have a GPU and sata expansion card plugged in 1 & 2 slots. Any ideas?

Edited by Badboy
  • Badboy changed the title to Network Questions
10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Please post the diagnostics after the problem.

I did a q flash on the board, seems to boot properly, set a higher static ip in the network settings, internet is working right now. LOL Haven't enabled drives yet. I know some of the network options have slightly changed on Unraid, Should I enable bridging? What over settings should I adjust maybe to make it perform smoother? Almost order a new board. See how it goes.  Thank you for responding.

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

If you need it, it's mostly needed for VMs.

Just lost the internet to the server. Lasted almost 11 hours. I will pull the logs when I get it backup. At a loss here. Also, lose the power button to hard reset. Have to use switch on the back. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks.

Edited by Badboy
17 hours ago, Badboy said:

Just lost the internet to the server. Lasted almost 11 hours. I will pull the logs when I get it backup. At a loss here. Also, lose the power button to hard reset. Have to use switch on the back. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean by "just lost the internet to the server'? Do you mean your other home network devices can connect to the internet but not your unraid server?

If that's the case look to your router for the problem not unraid. Unless of course your running router software such as pfsense virtualised on unraid? BUt if you've done that I don't think you'd be asking these questions.

Are you trying to access your server remotely or are you on the same network? If you're on your local network internet connectivity is irrelevant to your access to unraid. If your ISP is changing your WAN IP address - which happens to everyone unless you pay for a static WAN IP - this should have zero impact on your local network IP's whether they are assigned/static/reserved or not.

The functionality of a PC's power button is configured in the UEFI BIOS and if you've updated the BIOS then this could have been reset to a default value that won't allow a hard reset. The power switch could also just be broken - either way your power button's function has nothing to do with how your network functions and whether or not you have an internet connection.

When you assigned local network static IPs in your router did you change the DHCP range?  For eg if you have a 192.168.1.0/24 LAN network then normally your router would be 192.168.1.1 and DHCP will fairly randomly assign IP addresses to LAN devices from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. To use static or reserved LAN IPs this DHCP range should be changed to exclude ranges from which you select the static IPs.

For e.g. You might set the DHCP range from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 so that you can assign static LAN IPs from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 and from 192.168.1.201 to 192.168.1.254 so they will never conflict with DHCP assigned IPs. Different routers handle this more or less intelligently and - of course - if your router is getting 'confused' when your ISP changes your WAN IP (which should never happen but does) then resetting the router or checking for a router firmware update might be a way forward?

I don't know but I suspect that what isn't making sense is perhaps because you're trying to solve a router problem by making changes to unraid?

Doesn't matter, have a new board coming.  

Not trying to access remotely, I'm on my local network.

Haven't changed the DHCP. Router is telling me ip address has been set by server.

Power button, can only be used 2 ways, soft reset or long press.  (No way to disable) Yes, the button could be broke.  Also losing the screen and usb port the keyboard is on, when i go to the bios screen. I was on newer bios firmware before, can't remember if it did the same thing.  I wasn't blaming Unraid for every thing. Just asking some general questions.   I guess the new board will tell the story. Thanks for responding.