im in uk how do i purchase plus licence key ?

pete25

hi just tried unraid and love it !!

how much would it cost me in £ to purchase a plus key? as i only want to put a password on the unraid share folder. and only have and use 2 hdd,s

also if i purchase a key.. and one day i need to do a fresh install of unraid. can i simply use my key again to activate it ?or will i have to buy another one?and can i pay for a key by paypal?  thanks for any help cheers pete

Hello,

I can answer one of your questions.

The key is tied to the GUID number of the USB stick you use to install unRaid onto. The unRaid webpage explains that in detail as far as how to install unRaid and how to establish the liscense.

This means that as long as you continue to use the USB stick with the license key you will not have to get a new license if you wanted to do a fresh install in the future.

I bought the two license pack so I always have a backup USB key with active license. These keys do go bad sometimes.

I suggest keeping a backup of the USB contents on a separate drive after you have your system working the way you want. After I got mine setup the way I needed I also mirrored the second USB key and then did a test boot with it. After that I put it in a safe place. That way when the wife calls one day and says the system will not boot I can walk her through a key swap.

Hope this helps some,

Jim S.

Hello,

The key is tied to the GUID number of the USB stick you use to install unRaid onto. The unRaid webpage explains that in detail as far as how to install unRaid and how to establish the liscense.

This means that as long as you continue to use the USB stick with the license key you will not have to get a new license if you wanted to do a fresh install in the future.

I bought the two license pack so I always have a backup USB key with active license. These keys do go bad sometimes.

I suggest keeping a backup of the USB contents on a separate drive after you have your system working the way you want. After I got mine setup the way I needed I also mirrored the second USB key and then did a test boot with it. After that I put it in a safe place. That way when the wife calls one day and says the system will not boot I can walk her through a key swap.

Hope this helps some,

Jim S.

PERFECT! how do i copy the usb onto another as a backup? is it simply go into a windows pc and just copy the content from the usb with unraid on to another usb ?

also i had a powr cut yesterday whitch upset my raid but after waiting round 15 minutes it mounted and was ok/ thinking on a UPS for it but not sure whitch one i need as im sure you cant use a ups usb with unraid...

Hello,

Hope this helps some,

Jim S.

PERFECT! how do i copy the usb onto another as a backup? is it simply go into a windows pc and just copy the content from the usb with unraid on to another usb ?

also i had a powr cut yesterday whitch upset my raid but after waiting round 15 minutes it mounted and was ok/ thinking on a UPS for it but not sure whitch one i need as im sure you cant use a ups usb with unraid...

UPS with USB is the most common way. APC has the best support in unRAID with the apcupsd add-on.

If your USB stick dies, Tom will normally send out a replacement key for a new stick if you ask nicely ;)

No need to copy data to another stick (it wouldn't work anyway because of the mismatch in GUIDs) - I just copy the whole contents of the working USB stick to my hard drive.

You don't need to do a fresh install - all the key consists of is a small file that you copy to the USB stick that tells unRAID that it's running a proper version.

I'm in the UK too and haven't had any problems with unRAID - so you're not alone. The only thing we lack here is a reliable source for some of the components in the "best build" thread.

If your USB stick dies, Tom will normally send out a replacement key for a new stick if you ask nicely ;)

No need to copy data to another stick (it wouldn't work anyway because of the mismatch in GUIDs) - I just copy the whole contents of the working USB stick to my hard drive.

You don't need to do a fresh install - all the key consists of is a small file that you copy to the USB stick that tells unRAID that it's running a proper version.

I'm in the UK too and haven't had any problems with unRAID - so you're not alone. The only thing we lack here is a reliable source for some of the components in the "best build" thread.

only reason i want to upgrade to plus is so i can view more info.. like cpu temp and so on. i will only ever use 2 hdd's one parity (1tb) and one disk1 (1tb) thats more than enough for me :) i just would like to protect the unraid shaire folder with a password thats all witch i can only do in a plus purchase.

do you no.. does unraid load into system memory then fun from that or does it constantly read/right from the usb stick? because if unraid runs of the usb then the usb life will dramatically be shortened

i am so glad i found unRAID (found by chance) after trying loads of other nas os's unRAID is by far the easiest/simple and most reliable os iv used! congratulations to the codeing team!

Archived